Ch. 26 Promises

Pooja's P.O.V

Present day

"........Since there were no legal papers or anything at all to show that either me and Renuka were related by anyway or even the child was left under my care, the baby was sent to an orphanage and it took me three months to adopt her as my own daughter. And by that time I could perfectly use my legs.", I end my monologue and turn back to look at Arjun, who was now blankly looking at me, leaning his back on the trunk of a pine tree, with his hands folded on his chest.

I look away feeling unnerved from his piercing eyes.

"So you knew about Renuka leaving me and Kiran?", his voice wasn't hard or cold but it wasn't either soft. It made me feel unsettled and my temper to flare.

"I knew about her leaving you, but I had no idea she had left behind a child, or even you guys together had a child.", my tone matching his.

"Why didn't you come back then?", his voice soft as he took a step towards me.

"I don't know.", I feel like all my energy suddenly being sucked out. I turn my back towards him, "I myself have no idea. A part of me always wanted to run back to you. But there was also the other part of me feeling confused, with all the 'what ifs'."

"Do you hate me?", I barely hear his question as he again takes a step towards me.

"Not even if I tried.", I feel him behind me before his arms encircle me in a hug. I stay in his warmth releasing all my pent up tensions.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

A week had passed since mine and Arjun's heart to heart talk. Everything was moving on smoothly. The preparations for the engagement function were on last stage and almost everyone who had left the house, three years back had come back. Every person in the house was busy catching up with each other.

I and Esha had moved in, to stay with Arjun and Kiran. And my room back at the guesthouse was now occupied by my Dad. He flew in earlier today wanting to mark his nieces engagement function with one or two of his extraordinary ideas. But I knew that was only an excuse to relieve me from my work to spend more time with my husband and kids.

Everyone had retired back to their rooms after dinner. I and Arjun were cuddling on the bed, watching a movie on the television, while Ma and Dad(Arjun's) had volunteered to look after our kids tonight. About half an hour or so later, I lost interest in it when an idea suddenly stuck me.

I move out of the bed and I could see Arjun watching me from the corner of my eyes. Walking towards the television, I switch it off and take Arjun's car keys from the table under it. I slip them into the pocket of my pyjamas and walk towards Arjun who was looking at me as if I had gone mad.

"Wha....", he starts as I lean down towards his face but breaks off when I place my index finger on it.

"Shhh..... be quiet.", I whisper against his lips keeping my finger there.

I pull him out of the bed and towards the door of our room. Once again I whisper with a playful smile, stopping just as we reach the door, turning towards him, "We are running off.", and wink at him.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

It was more than difficult than I imagined to slip out of the house in our pyjamas with a not-so-cooperative Arjun. He made noises at all the wrong places and we had to hide several times before someone caught us. But after the first few questioning looks and glares Arjun caught on to the fun of it.

"Where are we going?", Arjun was starting to get restless as he asked the same question for the thirteenth time. I just smile back and concentrate back on the road.

He groans loudly, making me laugh out loudly. I saw him smiling at my laugh before he covered it with a pissed off pout as I looked at him.

"I already told you. It's. A. Surprise.", he huffs and looks out of the window sulking.

It was the most rarest thing you ever could see. A billionaire businessman sulking in his pyjamas in his very expensive car. And let me tell you, it looked damn cute.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

As I stop the car Arjun looks around us in the darkness. I had stopped a few meters away from my usual spot, since you can't drive a car through a thicket.

"Nice place for hiding my body, isn't it?.", sarcasm dripping in his voice. I glare at him and ask him to step out.

Switching on the torch in my phone I lead him through a narrow path to the edge of the thicket. I switch the torch off as I see the clearing ahead. I walk towards the middle and then turn back to look at Arjun.

"Welcome to my hide out, Mr.Kashyap.", I dramatically wave my hands as I watch his expressions changing.

"This....this is insane.", a big smile graces his face as he looks down at the city with lights still glowing in many parts and with a navy blue sky adorned with a full moon and plenty of stars above.

I wrap my right hand around his left hand and lead him towards the edge, where I usually sat. We make ourselves comfortable, Arjun lying with his head on my lap while I sat with my legs stretched.

We sat there comfortably, enjoying the silence around us. I played with my fingers in his hair, as I sketched every dip and stretch on his face into my mind, while he closed his eyes and lay with a contented smile on his face.

I bend and drop a light kiss on his forehead and whisper against it, "Promise me you won't ask me to leave you again."

He opens his eyes and looks deeply into mine, then cups one of my cheeks in his hand, "Only if you would never leave me again, even if I ask."

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

*********************************************

Hey everyone.......

We have reached the end of MTMHC....... now only an epilogue left......

And don't forget to read the author's note after that.......

Happy reading........