Chapter 19

Jamal's POV

I honked and the gate man noticing it was me, ran to open the gate. This wouldn't be the first time I'd be coming to this house so I was pretty familiar here. I was more or less family anyway.

I drove in and parked my car under the pavelon right beside the others and walked out, moving towards the house. I pressed the door bell twice before I waited. I heard shuffles before the door knob turned and I came face to face with Uncle Taju.

"Jamal." He smiled in recognition and I smiled back, bowing my head in respect.

"Good morning uncle Taju." I greeted.

"Good morning boy. It's been a while. How are you?" He asked me.

"I'm fine, sir. I actually came by to see Mateo..." I trailed when off when I heard footsteps.

"Dad, who is..." He also stopped short when I turned my head to look past uncle Taju and at him. He was surprised to see me and I smirked. Uncle Taju looked between both of us in confusion.

"Jamal..." Mateo muttered.

"Hey, Mateo." I gave him a curt wave.

******

I parked the car, turned off the ignition and got down. I looked behind me and saw Mateo had already gotten here, parking right behind me. We could have taken the same car but I had somewhere to be immediately after this. He walked up to me, putting off his shades and looking at the very familiar surrounding before he looked at me with a frown.

"What are we doing here?" He asked me and I kept a straight face.

"I told you, we are here to talk." I replied ignorantly, knowing fully well what he meant. He rolled his eyes.

"I know we are here to talk. I meant, what are we doing at a play ground." He gestured to the surrounding and I chuckled. This was the playground Mateo and I used to come to while growing before we decided we had outgrown it.

"Just wanted us to talk somewhere that has memories. Come on." I nudged my head and started walking. I heard him mutter some incoherent words before he started to followed me.

We made our way to the open space at the corner of the play ground where parents were seated, watching their kids. We moved to a remote side and took out sit. I could feel Mateo's eyes on me, scrutinizing me. He was still very surprised I had come over to his house and asked him to take a drive with me.

"You know it's impolite to stare." I told him, sparing him just a glance and looking straight ahead at the children playing on the seesaw.

"Well forgive me for trying to figure you out." He stated curtly and I smirked, looking at him.

"You can never figure me out Mateo, and vice versa. So there is really no use trying." I replied and he rolled his eyes, squinting as the sun shone bright and the ray affected his eyes.

"Why then did you bring me out here? To point out your anger, disappointment, hatred for me. You don't have to point them out, Jamal. I know already." He said in a displeased tone and I frowned.

"I'm not like you, Mateo. I don't hold a grudge." I pointed out and he looked away. I sighed and looked back at the children on the seesaw.

"Why are we here?" He asked again in a tone I didn't appreciate one bit. I looked at him, he was looking at me and could clearly see the displeased look on my face.

"I didn't expect that tone from you, knowing fully well that you talked with my sister two nights ago about me." I said, my voice raising a notch. He looked surprised when he heard that.