•C h a p t e r O n e•

Song for chapter one: Welcome to New York by Taylor Swift

|Skyler|

I pressed my face against the window of the taxi to get a better look at New York City. It was as breathtaking as everyone said it would be, but it was so different from home that I didn't know how I'd ever get used to this.

The city was loud and bustling, with people scurrying down the street to get to their destinations or nowhere in particular, and of course the mounds of tourists walking in large groups and blocking the sidewalks as they studied their maps and pamphlets.

My mom would've loved to see this, from the amount of times she'd talked about visiting places like New York City and Los Angeles. But she'd never get to now. I frowned slightly, feeling my stomach drop.

Aunt Claire was perched next to me on the backseat of the taxi, awfully quiet. She had been silent ever since the she took me back to my house after the accident. I was told to pack the necessities into a large suitcase and the rest would be shipped over to New York in a couple weeks. I refused to let her sell the house or put it up for rent. I would rather let it gather dust than have strangers living in my home.

The taxi pulled to a stop in front of a large apartment building, snapping me out of my thoughts. I followed my aunt and stepped onto the sidewalk, before my jaw dropped at the sight in front of me.

It was a beautiful glass building, as tall as a skyscraper with no flaws in sight. I headed inside, with my aunt trailing behind me with our suitcases. Before I even placed my hand on the door, it swung open to reveal a doorman. He nodded and smiled at me as I walked inside. This place rivalled the Tipton Hotel from Suite Life of Zack and Cody.

I looked at Aunt Claire, "What did you say you did for a living again?"

She beamed, her eyes brightening from the fact that I was actually talking for first time in a few hours and to her, no less. "I'm a criminal lawyer."

That explained it.

"Come on, the apartment is right this way," Aunt Claire nodded her head at me and we stepped into an elevator. When she opened the door to her complex my jaw slackened once again.

It was a high ceilinged room, with two large couches side by side, facing a flat screen TV. On the other side of that, was a dinner table, but enough for just three people. The interior looked as though it had been designed by a interior designer, with plants and flowers at the right areas of the home, and plane white walls that complimented the beige sofas. And the best part yet, was the large window on one side of the room, that gave view to our neighbouring sky scrapers. Coupled with the blazing sunset, this place was like a dream.

"Wow. This is nice," I managed to say.

Aunt Claire was already in the kitchen. "Would you like something to eat? You didn't have anything in the plane," she called out.