Chapter 26: Fucked up cases

They say friends can be your second family. A family even more important than the one you were born in. And that's because you choose it by yourself. There are no legal bonds connecting you, no obligations towards each other. Just a group of people deciding to be together.

Easy as that.

When I met the girls for the first time, I thought I found mine. A family that could have finally accept me for who I am. And love me for that. Not because they had to. Not because I was their own flesh and blood.

Just because I was me.

Daphne.

The skinny girl, the pale one. The shy, the depressed, the good student, the one who follows the rules, who does what she is been told. The good girl. The suffocated one.

The broken Daphne Stark.

*

''D I've been looking everywhere for you. What are you doing here?''

Zoey's sweet voice wakes me up. Blinking my eyes, I find hard to adjust on the daylight, but I do my best, getting up from the bench I was laying.

''Are you okay? I was so worried.''

''I'm fine.'' The roughness of my voice surprises me.

Was I really sleeping?

''How did you get here?'' She asks and I take my time to observe my surroundings. I'm outside the East Wing, blocks away from the building our courses took place. And the worst part is, I can't even remember how I got here.

I recall leaving Khloe behind and then walking around the campus. I guess my feet brought me in this place.

How ironic.

''At the beginning I thought you went home, but then you left your things behind...'' She says, signaling towards my bag.

I nod rubbing my eyes.

''I didn't feel like coming back to class. I was going to wait until the lesson was over to take my things. Thanks for bringing them.''

She just nods, letting her curls bounce around her face. ''D what happened?''

Her tone is calm and careful. As if she is afraid, I'm going to break down if she pushes me too hard.

''Khloe didn't tell you?''

''No. I asked where you were, but she never responded. I could tell something happened between you two, just by the look on her face. She seemed...''

''Relieved?'' I say with a bitter smile.

''Why would she be relieved?'' Zoey asks confused.

I shrug my shoulders, looking down at my lap.

Because she finally got rid of me.

''D talk to me. What's going on?''

I feel her hand rubbing my back in comfort and tears slip down my cheeks.

''Hey...'' She whispers coming closer to hug me.

''I-I'm such a f-fucked up case Zoey.'' I mumble between sobs.

''No, you are not. Don't say that.''

''It's t-true. I bring everyone down w-with me.''

''The only person you bring down is yourself. And guess what? I'm not gonna let you do that. Come on.''

Grabbing my stuff, she tugs me along, like a mother with her sniffling kid.

''Zoey...''

''You are coming with me. If you think you are just another fucked up case, then you really have no idea...''