chapter one

Rowyn smiled widely once she completed the final piece of schoolwork that Sam had assigned her for that day. "Done!" She smiled at her father. Since the family lived on multiple acres of land out in the country-side of a small town in Oregon, her parents felt it was best to home school her—to let her focus on her creativity and the things that interested her most.

He adjusted his glasses and came around his desk to review the worksheet. "Nice job." She smiled proudly. "I think that's the quickest you've ever done your schoolwork, kid. You have somewhere to be or something?" He glanced at the clock that read it was only noon.

Rowyn stifled a smile. "No," She told him. "Can I look at the stuff in the Great Room?" She asked. Sam was a collector of sorts who loved history—back before he adopted Rowyn, he had purchased an old, beautiful wooden wardrobe from England that Rowyn was obsessed with.

Sam told Rowyn about the legends of the world it held, but Charlie reassured her that they weren't true.

Charlie then walked in the room and Rowyn hoped out of her chair to hug her other adoptive father. "Hey, Ro-Ro." He chuckled while he lifted her off the ground for a moment and held her tightly.

Sam smiled at his husband and went to place a small kiss on his mouth once Rowyn was back on the ground. Rowyn watched the pair with admiration. She craved to have a love like theirs one day—pure, undying, real love.

"Why are you home so early?" Sam asked and pressed a kiss to the hazelnut colored skin of Charlie's cheek.

Charlie smiled at his husband. "Well, Mr. Peterson decided to let everyone off early today because-"

A sudden tug drew Rowyn's attention away from her fathers.

The same similar tug she's felt her entire life.

Like someone pulling on the end of a string that was attached to her chest. Urging her to follow it.

Without looking back at her parents, she followed it as her curiosity took hold of her mind. She followed it and soon found herself in the Great Room of their house—in front of the wardrobe. Rowyn couldn't ignore how the pull got stronger and more intense as she neared it. Her mouth threatened to form a smile when she thought of the possibility of finding that world she wished for.

With sweaty, nervous hands, she reached for the latch. Rowyn could've sworn she felt a cold, icy breeze blow threw her hair once the door was open. Biting her lip, she stepped inside. She maneuvered through the many coats that rested within it until she hit a pine tree.

A pine tree.

The excitement that fluttered into her chest made her smile brightly when her yellow converse stepped onto snow.

But it was the sound of a loud child's scream that made her excitement die down to a small ember in her chest. She couldn't explain what caused it, but she ran towards it.

Her eyes widened when she saw a small young girl attempting to hide behind a lamp-post. "Are you alright?" The girl whipped around to Rowyn's direction.

Rowyn hardly noticed the confused look when the girl looked over Ro's attire—blue jeans and a tie-dye sweatshirt—before she pointed towards a tree where someone was visibly hiding.

"Hello?" Rowyn said, carefully walking towards the packages that rested in the snow. A man came into view and tried to speak but failed as he came out from behind the tree with shaky legs. "Hooves . . ." She muttered quietly, observing the man's lower figure that represented a fawn.

"Were you hiding from me?" The girl behind Rowyn asked while they both handed him his packages.

The man took the packages and went to grab the rest out of the snow. "No—well, I-I just, uh," The man stuttered greatly as he spoke. "I didn't want to scare you—either of you." He told them.