chapter three

After the Pevensie siblings arrived in Narnia, found out about Tumnus' arrests, and met Mr. Beaver, they found themselves sitting around a small table while Mrs. Beaver prepared food for them.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter questioned while Susan came to sit beside him after she placed a small teapot down on the table.

Mr. Beaver shook his head. "They would've taken him to the Witch's house, and you know what they say—there's few who go through them gates that come out again."

Mrs. Beaver came over to Lucy and placed a plate of fish and chips down in front of her. "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope-"

Mr. Beaver choked on his drink. "Oh yeah there's a right bit more than hope! Adeline's daughter is on the move." He told the siblings.

Edmund scowled. "Who's Adeline's daughter?"

Mr. Beaver laughed. "Oh, you cheeky little thing!" Mrs. Beaver slapped him softly. "Wait—you really don't know?"

"Well, we haven't exactly been here very long!" Peter exclaimed.

"Adeline Galathynius was the first female queen of Narnia! She ruled by her lonesome and was the first female to produce an heir without the help of another human male!" Mr. Beaver explained.

Mrs. Beaver chimed in, "Adeline prayed upon Aslan—the Great Lion of Narnia—and he blessed her with a little girl—hair of pure honey, eyes of amethyst flecked with opal, born of fire and light—she is the true Queen of Narnia!" Mrs. Beaver's eyes were glimmering with admiration.

Lucy thought for a moment. "You mean Rowyn?" She questioned. "I met her when I first came here—she was also a friend of Mr. Tumnus."

Mr. Beaver's eyes widened. "You've seen her? Where is she? Did she already join with Aslan—he is the one forming her army—your army at the Stone Table!"

"Our army?" Susan questioned.

Mr. Beaver waved his arms in frustration. "They don't even know about the prophecy!" He took a deep breath. "It has long been foretold that two sons of Adam and two daughters of Eve will help Adeline's daughter in order to defeat the White Witch and bring back the peace that Adeline once held within Narnia."

"You think that we're the ones?" Peter asked with utter confusion upon his features. "That's impossible."

Mrs. Beaver turned to Lucy. "Where is she? Do you know?"

Lucy bit the inside of her cheek. "Edmund and I saw her after I came back from visiting with Tumnus again. She said she was going to visit him as well—that's the last time I saw her. I thought we would've seen her already but I guess-"

Mr. Beaver cut her off. "Oh no . . ." Everybody turned to him. "Right after Tumnus gave me your hanky and made me leave, I saw a girl heading for him-"

"You don't mean that-" Mrs. Beaver began.

Mr. Beaver closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "The White Witch has Rowyn."

Lucy's eyes widened as she filled with worry for her new-found friend. "We have to help her!" She said, tears forming in her eyes.

Susan stood. "It's out of our hands, Lu."

"You've made a mistake—we aren't heroes!" Peter said.

Mr. Beaver sighed deeply. "No . . . you're saviors! You must help Rowyn restore the light! She cannot do it on her own!"

Susan stood up. "Thank you for your hospitality but we really should be going."

Lucy stood up as well. "So you're just going to leave Rowyn to die? For Mr. Tumnus to die?"

"She's right." Mrs. Beaver said. "If you leave Rowyn will die. Mr. Tumnus will die . . . Narnia will die."

Peter and Susan shared a look. "It's time the four of us were getting home." Peter said then turned around to look for Edmund. "Ed?" He said when he was unable to find him. They all saw the open front door and Peter clenched his fist. "I'm gonna kill him."