My girl (Peter Parker)

Peter's P.O.V

"He was running his mouth like usual, insulting you in the same breath as complimenting Spiderman without realising that you're the same guy, god, the moment you say that I can tell people, I am smacking him down with that information." Y/N scoffed and shook her head, making Peter laugh and look at his best friend as she talked about Flash.

"His mind will be blown if he ever finds out. Which, hopefully, he won't." he shrugged as he unlocked his apartment door and let himself and Y/N in.

"You never know, you might decide one day that you're ready for the world to know. I mean, you told me, May, Ned and MJ." She returned. Peter sighed, thinking about her words as the two of them sat down on the couch and his hand instinctively moved to hold her knee, something that he knew that she liked.

"I know, but the four of you knowing is so different to the whole world knowing, the four of you are the most important people in my life. If I tell the world, I never have privacy again, I never have full safety again. My future wife, or husband, and kids can never be fully safe. I'm not willing to put you in danger in order to tell people." He shrugged as he looked at Y/N. She nodded and bit her lip, giving him a small smile for his words. Suddenly, her eyes widened slightly.

"Ooh, I forgot, I have something big to tell you." She squealed, making Peter's eyes widen slightly at her excitement as she got up on her knees on the sofa and turned to face him.

"Okay..." He chuckled nervously. Y/N looked at him.

"Brad asked me out today." She admitted. Peter's eyes widened, his heart starting to thump quicker.

"A-and what did you say?" he gulped.

"I said yes, obviously, Pete. Have you seen Brad?" she scoffed and shook her head. Peter's eyes wavered, a sick feeling forming in his stomach. Without even realising it, his best friend had just broken his heart into a million pieces. After all, he'd been practically in love with her since they were kids since they had grown up only a few doors down from each other.

"O-oh, wow...that's, um...a-amazing, that's great, I-I'm happy for you." Peter lied, forcing a smile back onto his lips so that his own face wouldn't give away how hurt he felt.

"Isn't it? We're going out for pizza on Friday. It'll be good." She nodded and smiled. Peter returned it, looking down at his hand that was still on Y/N's knee as he tried not to think about how sick he felt with his heart in his stomach.

"Maybe it'd be fun to find you someone too. We could double-date and stuff." She chuckled, completely unaware that each word was like another shot to Peter. He shook his head and forced himself to keep the smile on his lips as he looked at her.

"Nah, it's okay. The girl I want doesn't want me anyway, so...what can you do?" he shrugged. Y/N's smile dipped slightly, and she nodded.

"Oh, well, that's a shame, Pete. But don't worry, you'll always have me." She smiled before leaning in and hugging him. He sighed and returned the hug, burying his face into her hair.

"That's just it, though. No, I won't." he whispered, sighing again as he pulled away from the hug and forced the smile back onto his lips.

~Six months later~

Y/N's P.O.V

I leant against my locker, Brad's hand on my waist as he talked at me about fuck knows what. Not that it mattered, I had learned about a month into the relationship that I favoured zoning his voice out and thinking about Peter instead over actually listening to him. I didn't know why I was still with him, not being able to find the right time to break up with him being a predominant reason. But I needed to, and I knew it, especially as I often found myself comparing Brad to Peter, and always favouring what Peter would have done over Brad. I often found myself looking at Brad smiling and picturing Peter in his place instead. Or when we got more intimate, Peter would be what filled my mind as I kissed or hugged Brad. I knew that it was wrong, but I was stuck.