l. A GOOD TEAM

A/N – This is a different take on the events of Civil War. I've tried to make it as accurate as possible! It's also the longest chapter of this book so far, at over 1900 words. I hope it's okay.

—— ——

"Hello, Mr. Barnes. I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you. Do you mind if I sit?"

Bucky remained silent, wishing that you, his girlfriend, could be in the room with him. After Steve had located your shared apartment in Bucharest, things had gotten out of hand, and you'd all been arrested and taken to a facility in Berlin. You'd been separated from Bucky, who was now due to be interrogated by a man you'd never seen before.

"Your first name is James?"

Meanwhile, you sighed as you sat in some kind of office room, carefully watching Bucky on a small screen. You would be lying if you said you weren't worried; as the former SHIELD agent and trained assassin who'd gone undercover within HYDRA to help him remember his identity and escape, the two of you had been together for a long time, yet you were still fiercely protective of him.

Anyone who tried to hurt him would have you to answer to.

Across the room from where you sat, Sharon approached Sam, pushing a piece of paper towards him. "The receipt for your gear."

Sam glanced at it and scoffed. "'Bird costume'? Come on!"

"I didn't write it," Sharon defended. Glancing towards Steve, she turned and pressed a button, allowing everyone to hear the interaction between Bucky and the unknown man.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James?"

Bucky kept his eyes trained on the floor, refusing to speak. You could tell how uncomfortable, how scared he was, and your heart ached.

"I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James." The man attempted to bargain with Bucky, prompting him to finally talk.

"My name is Bucky."

As you sighed gloomily, Steve frowned at the blurry, black and white photo of whoever bombed Vienna.

"Why would the Task Force release this photo to begin with?" He directed the question at Sharon, who shrugged.

"Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?"

"Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding." Steve raised his eyebrows slightly. "Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier."

"You're saying someone framed him to find him?" Sharon replied, furrowing her brow.

"Steve," Sam interjected, "we looked for the guy for two years and found nothing."

"We didn't bomb the UN. That turns a lot of heads."

"Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him. It guarantees that we would."

"Yeah," Steve sighed, looking towards the man on the monitor, suspicion evident on his face. You followed his gaze, eyes narrowed, as the man began to speak again.

"Tell me, Bucky... you've seen a great deal, haven't you?"

"I don't wanna talk about it." Bucky was frowning now, clearly confused and upset.

"You fear that, if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop." The man continued despite Bucky's protests, and you stood up, glancing desperately towards Steve. On the monitor, the man tapped a screen in front of him, an evil smirk consuming his face.