21: Fili Comforts You

You finally give up on trying to fall sleep. You quietly slip out of the room, making sure the rest of the company is asleep.

The entire Company has been a bit uneasy lately, but the last few nights have been especially rough for you. Knowing that Erebor could get attacked any day now is making you restless, never being able to get a decent night's sleep. Usually, you end up cuddling next to Fili and eventually dozing off, but tonight, not even that has allowed you to sleep.

You decide to head outside on a nearby balcony, hoping the cold air will help you clear your head.

There are quite a few clouds, but behind them can still see a sheet of dark navy blue, dotted with stars.

You are reminded of something Tauriel said back in the elven palace. You had overheard her telling Kili a story about walking on starlight, or something like that.

The night sky is calming. You feel some of the tension leave your body, but your shoulders are still fairly tight and there is a hint of worry in the back of your mind.

You hear footsteps behind you, but stay silent, just in case it is Thorin, coming to tell you off for going outside at night.

You freeze as a pair of strong hands grips your shoulders. They belong to Fili.

"You alright, love?" His voice is soft.

You let out a breath you didn't know you were holding in, the tension melting from your shoulders as Fili works his thumbs into the muscles.

"I'm fine Fee, I just needed some fresh air," You reply.

"If something's bothering you, you can tell me. I'll listen," Fili spins you around to face him, a genuine look of concern on his face.

You sigh, "I guess it's just...    the last few days haven't exactly gone smoothly. There's tension within the company, partly from the anticipation of war, and partly because there's a chance that dragon sickness might creep up on Thorin."

Fili nods, understanding.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him too," Fili says, "I'm surprised Thorin hasn't lost his mind."

"As for the situation at hand," Fili continues, "There's not much we can do but wait. All of the preparations for battle are in place."

"Whatever happens, I know we'll make it through this. You're strong. You have nothing to fear," he adds.

You smile, looking out at the sky, "Thanks Fee."

"I won't let anything hurt you, (Y/N),"  Fili embraces you in a hug from behind, kissing your hair softly, "I promise."