48

Jolene had been observing her son and Kegan all afternoon once they arrived at the cottage house. Well, Kegan arrived earlier and Calix showed up an hour later. They acted like they were trying to gel and get along, but she didn't understand why. From what she knew, the two had a great and loving connection.

"Is everything okay with you two?" Jonas asked, picking up on what his mate was seeing. "You're being... icy."

Calix continued to eat his pasta, not looking up or acknowledging his glaring mate.

"We're fine," Kegan said, still glaring daggers at Calix.

Jolene pursed her lips. "You two said you had news? That's why we're meeting for dinner?" she asked, hoping to shift the conversation and ease the tension.

To her enjoyment, Kegan broke into a grin and Calix stopped eating, smiling as well.

"Uh, yes," Calix said, reaching over and taking Kegan's hand. "Do you want to tell them?"

Kegan's smile fell slightly before he shook his head. "No, you can," he said, his mind reminding him of the lack of trust he received earlier. "Go ahead."

Calix sensed his sadness but chose to ignore it. He could ask about it later; he felt like he owed Kegan and apology anyway.

"We're expecting," Calix said, both him and Kegan grinning at the words. "In six months you'll have grand babies."

Jolene shrieked and Jonas merely smiled at his son.

"Yes! I've been waiting for years for Calix to find his mate so I can have grandkids!" Jolene yelled, rushing over to her son and hugging him before doing the same to Kegan, just much more relaxed. "I'm so happy for you both!"

Kegan smiled and hugged her back. As upset as he was with Calix, he loved Jolene and didn't want her to be upset because he was being moody.

"Thank you," Kegan said gratefully. "I'm nervous, though."

Jolene hummed. "You will be. There's no book on parenting. You'll learn as you go," she said, looking over at Calix. "This one was the biggest handful of all of my kids."

Kegan whipped around to look at Calix. "You have siblings?!" he asked in shock. "You never told me that!"

"It never came up," Calix responded. "I told you Kai moved in with us when we were younger, and I also have a little brother, but his mate is an Alpha in another pack so he moved in with them."

Jolene grumbled. "Kai and Logan are angels compared to you," she said, crossing her arms.
"They are coming to the ceremony, yes?"

"If he missed it you'd kill him, mom," Calix said with a snicker. "I do miss him."

Kegan smiled at the admiration in Calix's voice as he talked about his family. He listened and basked in his happy feelings while Calix delved into his stories about the trouble he and Kai got into and how Logan, being a mature and peaceful Beta, bailed them out.

Eventually they moved to the living room, Jolene bringing out her old scrapbooks and showing Kegan pictures of Calix and his siblings growing up.

"If he hadn't moved out he would've been my Beta," Calix said, smiling at a picture of him and Logan holding up two ribbons that they'd won during a summer party. "Kai didn't want the position but I needed her and I think she's grown to realize it's a good place for her."

Kegan nodded in agreement, still flipping through the pages. "Calix, I think you were cuter as a child," he said, making Calix scoff.

"That's because I'm not cute," he said, wrapping his arm around Kegan's waist and pressing his mouth close to his ear. "I'm hot."