Chapter Twenty-Five

Cole strolled out of the kitchen and into the main living area of the main house. He poked his head around the door of his mother's office only to find it empty. He'd never been able to work out why she had an office, she hadn't worked in all the years he could remember.

Continuing on, through the house, and out the door he found his mother enjoying an iced tea under the rotunda. It was one of those white metal settings with the hard, cold seats that gave you piles. But despite the discomfort, he pulled out a chair, the metal cold against his hands and sat down.

His mother started to talk before he even had the chance to greet her. "Oh dear, I'm so glad you're back." She said.

"That's nice of you to say, mother." He teased. He could tell she was in a fluster by the way she wrung the napkin in her shaking hands.

"I'm in a right state, I didn't know what to do about Tess, and you were off wining and dining these businessmen, while I was dealing with the doctor." She picked up her iced tea, the condensation from the glass leaving a damp circle on the white linen table cloth she insisted on having, even outside. She gulped at it as though she'd been running a marathon.

Cole smiled at her. She really did get in a tizz over the silliest things. "Just because the doctor cancelled, it's not the end of the world. As a matter of fact, that's what I wanted to ask. Can you book him for tomorrow? It's probably worked out for the best. I know Tess wanted me to be here for her."

His mother froze, the glass suspended inches above the table, her eyes searched him, questioningly. She looked like she'd seen a ghost and it was a good minute before she found her voice. "Wha...whatever do you mean Cole? The doctor has already seen her."

"What? When?" Coles's heart raced and he removed the handkerchief from his jacket pocket to dab at the beads of sweat that had formed on his lip.

"Yesterday dear. He came and it's terribly dreadful news." She sniffed back a tear.

"What? What did he say?" Cole shouted.

"Don't get snarky at me, this is horrible, whatever will we do? Oh, Cole, he said she's schizophrenic. Beyond anything that any medication will really help."

Cole sank down lower in his seat and stared at his shoes. His mind whirled and any chance of making sense of it got tangled in the aftermath. "So what now?" He whispered. The lump in his throat was choking him.

"He suggested care." She whispered. Getting up from her chair she shuffled over and put her arm around his shoulder and patted him lightly.

"So he wants us to just chuck her in a home? A hospital?"

"He said it would be for the best but I wouldn't allow it, not until I'd spoken with you. Besides, I would never want her to be committed to any common old place. But there's an independent care facility about an hour from here. Each patient has one on one care. We'll pay for it all. Tell her not to worry."

Cole glared at her. "Just like that? Lock her up and throw away the key?"

"They do some lovely crafts. Crocheting and sewing and they make gorgeous teddy bears with little outfits that they make themsel—"

"Mother! Focus. Tess is a young woman. She doesn't want to knit and do crafts. She's so alive and vibrant I just couldn't..." He let his voice trail off. Shaking his head, he got up from the table, his legs wobbled beneath him. He turned back to his mother as he walked away "I've told the chef to send some meals over to the guest house, we have a guest, a friend of Tess's." Then he stalked across the grounds and back to the guest house.