Chapter 1

𝗥𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗼𝘂 𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗶𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗱....

It just came to him that the girl he once loved felt no more than just a mere acquaintance. Staring at her figure nearing, he didn't feel the usual joy upon seeing her. It was like her presence is something that's just there naturally and he's getting tired of it.

This isn't good.

He's slowly turning to a jerk.

"Ohayou Rin, did 'ya wait long?" the pink-haired girl smiled brightly, stopping right in front of her boyfriend. Kita Michiru, Shinsuke's first cousin, and the captain of the female's volleyball club. She was a gem among stones in Inarizaki. Pretty, athletic, and a straight-A student. Michiru is a kind of girl who would wake him up in the morning, cook for him, and would help him with his homework.

She is undeniably the perfect girlfriend. And Rintarou knew he was lucky having everyone's dream girl as his, but why was it that his feelings towards her are changing?

Rintarou forced a smile, one which Michiru noticed immediately, "I just arrived. Let's go, Michi" he says, grabbing her hand and eventually intertwining their fingers. Michiru's hands were small and warm, it used to fit perfectly with his rough and large ones. But holding it now, felt so plain.

Michiru laughed bitterly as they walked towards the school. His touch felt cold. His eyes were empty as he looked at her. What's wrong? She wanted to ask him, but it scared her that she might be making things worse. So instead, she tried her best to act like she usually does.

"Rin! I aced the test last week! Although geometry and algebra gave me a headache"

Michiru initiated a conversation. It was the only way to lessen this uneasy and uncomfortable silence they were stuck in.

"Oh. Good job Michi" he says, trying to sound happy for her, but his face says otherwise.

Michiru had always been looking at him even before they started dating. She knew all of the emotions hiding behind those deadpan expression of his. Rintarou had shown her sides he wouldn't show the others. Michiru thought the way the boy saw her is different.

But why is he looking incredibly uninterested right now?

"We have no club practice later, can I go and watch you guys after class?" she asked, desperate to prolong their conversation. Michiru wanted to act as if nothing's wrong, even though it hurt her so much.

Rintarou gave her a brief look and a small nod, "Sure."

"Okay"

The chilling end of their talk had Michiru's heart clenching. It took all of her not to cry. Rintarou is the sweetest person she ever knew. He would constantly praise her and pat her head sweetly, he would give me warm smiles and would squeeze her hand gently. The kisses he placed on her forehead and cheeks were still warm.

He's changing indeed.

It was an undeniable fact that started a few days ago.

"Rin, are you doing good in class?"

The female tried again. She wouldn't want to lose him over something so simple. Maybe he just needs a little push, and he'll be acting like he usually does.

Rintarou pursed his lips, answering again with a simple nod, his eyes never leaving the road.

"Are you eating lunch on time? How about your homework, have you finished all of them?" Michiru forced a cheerful smile, asking the usual things to her boyfriend.

Only to get her heartbroken when his grip on her hand slowly came loose. "Let's go. We'll be late Michiru" Rintarou kept walking, feeling the guilt tug the strings in his heart, but he couldn't find it in himself to turn back to her.

Michiru clenched her fists, feeling this immense feeling of unease in her heart. The way he called her was the final blow. He had never addressed her like that for two years now. Why is he suddenly calling her by her full name? He's slowly moving too far from her grasp.

And Michiru didn't stop him, she couldn't.

e n d o f c h a p t e r