Steve Rogers-Misdirection

There might have been a slight connection between you and your Captain

There might have been a slight connection between you and your Captain. You didn't want to admit it, of course, because nothing was worse than you lusting after your superior that only smiled on rare occasions.

And the mission you were on?

Was definitely not one of them.

"Y/N, I told you to cover the right side of the building!" Steve's voice snapped harshly through your comm and you winced, tumbling behind a tree for cover as a hail of bullets snapped away the edges of the bark.

"Guess this is a bad time to tell you my sense of direction isn't that great." You said breathlessly.

"Your sense of taking them isn't looking too good either." Clint snickered.

"Stuff it, Barton or I'll stick your head on my wall."

Loading your gun, you slammed yourself on the ground, brought your weapon to your shoulder and began to shoot at any and everything moving. There were more HYDRA agents than you could handle and you knew that everyone else would be busy with their own pack of miscreants. Right as the closest agent reached your tree, a swift blur of red white and blue knocked him away and you let out a relieved sigh as Steve and Sam came to your rescue. You shot the stragglers and collapsed onto your stomach once they were all dead, fighting to inhale a good and proper breath.

"Hey, Y/N. You all right?"

Sam trotted up to your side and offered a hand. You took it and pulled yourself to your feet, avoiding the burning glare that Steve was giving you.

"I'm good, Wilson. Thanks guys."

"No pro—"

Sam's warm tone was cut off by the sharp voice of your leader, his eyes just as cold.

"You're on probation for two weeks. If you can't learn to take an order by then, it's safe to say you'll be stuck behind a desk until you prove you can."

You watched in shock as he turned his back on you and Sam.

"I hate paperwork." You said begrudgingly.

"Y/N."

Wincing at the tone of his voice, you turned to see your teammate wearing a grim expression, but before he could voice his concerns you only shook your head.

"Not today, Sam."

He nodded in understanding.

"Let's go home."

—————

"Stupid...controlling...jerk face."

Every resentful mumble was followed by the sharp slam of your fist on the keyboard in front of you. The broiling anger that had been building inside only surged as a few keys came falling off, the result of your brutal attacks. You slumped forward and rested your head in your hands with a loud groan.