𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓶 XXXII

The dinner was awfully quiet. Usually, Chesca and I will bicker nonstop while eating, steal each other's food or just being our own annoying selves. However, the only sound that is filling the air is our utensils clinking and exchanges of loud sighs.

I tried my best to keep my head down and focus on the meal in front of me. Doing this makes me feel like a MasterChef judge of some sort. The baby corns are quite tough, I should've cooked it more. The peas  are delicious as usual. Of course my favorite potato stew never misses. I can stare at my plate forever, hah, this is more interesting than the person in front of me that smells like vanilla and shower gel— I shook my head, stop, I shouldn't be noticing how he smell like!

"You really shocked me, Jed, how come you didn't even bother to inform me," Chesca won't tolerate the silence for too long, I knew it, "or Lucia."

I almost choke on my water when she mentioned my name. She shouldn't have! It's not like I still have something to do with her brother.

"First of all, it was rather... sudden."
Jed gulped some water. He brushed his damp hair up, it's too hard to ignore him when he's LIKE that.

"What do you mean sudden?"

"Mom doesn't know I finished my studies already. I took advanced courses, I also spent summer and spring breaks studying."

My eyes widened. What the hell. How can he do that? He must've had a hard time fulfilling his duties as the only son of the family. Still, isn't that a little cruel for Jed to do that to himself?

"You're a smart kid but sometimes you're dumb, too."

Jed just answered with a shrug. I saw his eyes wandered around for a split second.

"However, how will mom react if she suddenly finds out you're home?"

"I couldn't care less, " Jed sighed. His eyes are nothing like how I remembered them. He used to have this certain glint in it, but right now? It's missing, and it's bothering me. "Besides, I'm done obeying others."

He said that after looking at me. My initial reaction was to look away, if that's intended for me or not, it still made me feel things.

"Oohoo, my baby boy is all grown up."
Chesca reached for Jed's hair, it made me smile that their relationship didn't change after all these years. Add the fact that they were not together for quite some time.

"Stop."
Jed swatted her hands away but not in a rude way. He just looks shy. I saw how a light shade of pink tinted his ears.

"Okay okay haha. But where's Roseanne?"

Roseanne.

That name wakes something in me. I honestly forgot about her for a moment. Are they together? Still together? My hands formed a fist under the table, it annoys me how I still feel sad about this matter.

"I don't know."
Jed was quick to answer, his voice is nonchalant, is it bad I felt a little happy about not hearing him speak fondly about her?

"Well let's not talk about her anymore. Go wash the dishes. Lucy and I will do our night routine."
Chesca flipped her hair, she pulled me to stand up.

"Uhh, I think we should help him, Ches."

Chesca smirked. The audacity of this girl.

"I got no plans of playing the good girl tonight, Lucy, so help him yourself~" ... and she ran.

... leaving the two of us alone.

I froze on my spot, why did I even volunteer to help? Well, he just came home from a long flight, who knows he might still be jetlagged? Still! I puffed my cheeks, what should I do now?

"You can go upstairs already. I'll handle this."

Jed's voice was deeper than before. If it's because of his maturity or just because of the tone he's using does not matter. I felt small. I felt distant.

"I offered help right?"

I was about to carry the emptied plates when he put his arms on the table leaning his body on it. I felt beads of sweat formed on my temples... When was I ever intimidated with this guy?

"And if I reject your offer?"

His eyes that are foreign to me earlier somehow shifted back to those orbs that I remember from before. His eyes were glassy from the night light and the moon from the outside seeping through the window.

"Why... Why are you making this a big deal?"

I tried looking away but like two opposite poles, it's no use to refuse.

"Go rest upstairs."
The raspy voice he is using almost melted my knees... I secretly used my hands to support me from slipping.

"I should be the one to say that."
Although he sure looks fresh from the bath, I can't help but notice the dark circles around his eyes that makes him look restless.

"Do you really want to help?"
I nodded eagerly.

"Fine, sit there."
Almost immediately, I obeyed. I sat down the stool beside the sink.

He started tying the apron, I saw him struggling because the strings were too short. That's because it's Chesca's. I helped him tie it, but when he looked back at me I immediately retreated. Gosh, I should stay still. There were only a couple of utensils to be washed, but I still feel bad for him.

"What will I do—"

"Just stay still."

He said without looking back at me. I pouted. Am I only here to watch? But come to think of it, this is not a bad idea at all, I get to watch his back. Heh. What?

I must've been hypnotized with his back figure because when he was done doing the dishes, I'm still in daze.

"Hey."
He said to catch my attention (that he is not aware I'm giving him since earlier)

"Yeah?"

"I'm done."
He even gestured the plates already stacked neatly.

"Oh— wait, I didn't do anything!"
I complained but he just chuckled. Somehow, that pinched my heart. It's the first time I heard his laugh for a while.

"You should get some sleep."
He said while drying his hands clean. I stared at him unconsciously long. He stared back with a little more intensity. It looks like he's about to say something, but he's stopping himself from doing so. Suddenly, the glow in his eyes turned dark again. I felt loom crept around the kitchen.

"H-hey."
He suddenly leaned towards me embracing my figure with his arms. A hug that felt like something I waited for a very long time. My tongue got tied and I cannot move a nerve. I can only close my eyes, hear my deafening heartbeat and confused my mind.

A hug could mean a thousand words, what worries me is the thought that someone is trying to hide their face of sadness by a simple embrace.

----
hi everyoneeee! you see
if you guys are expecting deep heavy stuff or angst, iftm won't contain those :( originally this is a very light fluff book hehe so im sorry if you guys don't like those kind of stories. anyways, look out for a double update today (if my lazy ass will work lmao) i hope everyone is having a great day and staying healthy!