31

Considering the fact that Matt and Charlotte didn't actually even get into bed until past four in the morning, it was no surprise that they didn't wake up until the late afternoon

Considering the fact that Matt and Charlotte didn't actually even get into bed until past four in the morning, it was no surprise that they didn't wake up until the late afternoon. Neither had very much energy after the events of night before either. If Charlotte had had it her way they would've spent the day in watching tv but it was Matt's desperation for milkshakes that pulled them from bed and to the Grill.

She borrowed a pair of Matt's sister Vicki's jeans which felt weird and tight, alongside a hoodie of his that she wanted so she could pull the hood up and hide her face. Matt had tried to convince her that the bruise wasn't bad but Charlotte knew those nurses hadn't reacted the way they did without reason and when she went to check in the bathroom the purple from her cheek to her brow bone confirmed that when she'd fallen against the banister she'd made a nasty mark.

The Grill had been a good choice in the end, the strawberry milkshake that Charlotte chose was the drink of her dreams although she disagreed with Matt that putting fries in their drinks made any sense. The pair had actually started to lighten up after the events of the evening before when Matt fell silent, his eyes on the door as a pair walked in and to the bar.

Charlotte froze when her eyes followed Matt's and she saw Kol and Klaus entering the bar. She saw them approaching Alaric by the bar and they stayed that way, drinking for a little while before their attention fell to the other patrons. She didn't want to stand and run the moment they entered knowing that would only draw more attention but she didn't want to talk to either of them either. Instead Charlotte sank a little in her seat hoping they mightn't catch her, she and Matt were in a booth off to the side and perhaps if they didn't make a commotion they'd remain unnoticed until Klaus and Kol left.

Charlotte's back was to them and so it was Matt who saw as Klaus' eyes fell to Charlotte and softened, he could see he and Kol were talking about them. However much Matt disliked Klaus both he and Charlotte knew what would happen if Klaus came by and saw her face and he knew Charlotte wouldn't want that and certainly not here with so many people around.

"Charlie," Matt knocked her foot to get her attention off her phone where she was replying to a long text message from Damon outlining his latest Stefan and Elena argument. Matt nodded behind her and without turning she knew what he was referencing. Charlotte stiffened and her heart started to race, "I've got this, you head home."

Charlotte nodded, relieved when Matt told her to leave, after a grateful smile she slid from the booth and rushed out the door of the Grill. Charlotte had spent three months attached, often literally, to Klaus and so she wasn't surprised when she heard the door of the Grill open and close a little after her exit.

"Charlotte," Klaus called out. Charlotte didn't turn around in fact she sped up, pulling the hood on her sweater up and over her head as she tried to avoid Klaus, "Darling," Klaus called a second time, closer now.

"Take a hint," Charlotte called back without turning around as she crossed the street, head down as she hurried along.

"Don't be angry, love," he replied, Charlotte didn't need to look to know there was a grin on his face as he spoke, "We had a little spat. I'm over it already."