Prologue

"Hello, My name is Evelyn, Evelyn Mirabelle"

"H-hello... I-I'm Newt Scamander"

"Nice to meet you, Newt. What do you have there?"

"It's my journal. I do research on magical creatures"

"Fascinating! Do you know anything about angels?"

"No...I've only heard about them from muggles"

"Oh... Then, if you don't mind, may I tell you a bit about them?"

"Only if you believe they are real"

"They are... just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist. There are plenty of mysteries in this world that have yet to be solved and plenty more that cannot be explained"

<><><>

"Evelyn! What in Merlin's beard are you-" I was too late. He had already seen them before they disappeared from my back. What was I thinking? They were in full view, illuminated by the light of the full moon. I only wanted to bathe them in it, to feel what it was like to fly but I forgot that I couldn't. No one must see them, that was what my mother had told me. How could I have been so careless? Mother...are you disappointed in me up there in the heavens? Are you able to fly freely now?

"Evelyn...you... you are a...an angel..."

I chuckled humourlessly as he stared at me. "Now Newt, did you mean that literally or did you mean it as a compliment?" I teased and his cheeks seemed to flush. "I...I don't...know..." he muttered, looking away. I giggled and stepped down from the ledge that bordered the tower. "You are adorable, Newton, but, why are you here?" I asked, stepping closer to him.

"I-I was worried that you would...you had been despondent as of late and I was worried that you would... When I saw that you weren't in your bed, I came looking for you because I thought that..." he stared off to the side, looking at the ledge that I had previously been standing on. He thought I was going to jump? He was worried about me?

"I'm sorry for worrying you. I had just been feeling under the weather as of late. I can assure you that I am perfectly fine"

"Don't do that, Evelyn"

"Do what?"

"I know what happened to your mother. Don't pretend like it doesn't hurt you. Don't deny your feelings. Don't deprive yourself of a chance to grieve. I'm sure they will let you go home if you only asked" he said earnestly. It was strange to see him like that. I have known him since we were first years. Now we were in our seventh year at Hogwarts and we had maintained our friendship to this day. He had always been a timid and quiet boy. It wasn't like him to be so straightforward and commanding. It surprised me but it also comforted me to the point where I felt tears fall on my cheeks. I had never cried in front of anyone before. I had always kept a smile on my face so that no one would know how weak I actually was, how sensitive and emotional I could be. I didn't want people to worry about me, I had experienced enough of it from my family. I knew they meant well but I had always been uncomfortable with them treating me like I was a porcelain doll.

Then another unexpected thing happened that kicked away the last of my self-restraint. Newt pulled me into his arms and kept me close to his chest while he rubbed my back then the back of my head in a comforting manner. I couldn't hold back my tears any longer and ended up crying against his chest and shamelessly clinging to him for support and comfort. I had fallen apart and was left in utter despair over the death of my mother.

I needed someone to comfort me and tell me that it was all going to be alright. I needed someone to tell me that it wasn't my fault that she died, that she was happily watching over my growth in the heavens, that it wasn't my fault that I wasn't there for her when she needed me the most. I needed someone to tell me all of those things, to help me patch up the torn seams inside my heart that ached so much. I needed someone to be strong for me when I couldn't and that strength came from Newt, the kind and gentle boy I made friends with all those years ago. The one who introduced me to the wonderful world of magical creatures whose existence was as peculiar and mysterious as my own.

"Go...let yourself grieve. Say your goodbyes to your mother and if you still need a shoulder to cry on then I promise I will be right here when you get back. I promise..." he whispered in my ear. 

"Thank you, Newt. Thank you..."

After that, I went home and attended my mother's funeral, letting myself grieve and cry just like what Newt said but I didn't stay long. After two days, I went back to school but...Newt was gone. He had broken his promise and with my heart already torn due to my mothers death, the disappearance of the only person who could give me comfort in my time of grief had ripped my heart completely in half.

"I'm sorry Evelyn, Newt has been expelled for endangering human life" Professor Dumbledore said when I asked about him when I got back. I felt like everything in my life was falling apart. First, it was the death of my mother then, it was the expulsion of my best friend from the only place I could ever see him in. I was never going to see the only other person who ever gave me true comfort ever again. I felt hopeless and alone and slowly, my feathers began to fall one by one until there was no hope of me flying ever again. I had fallen but not in the way my ancestor had. It wasn't love that made me fall, it was the exact opposite. 

It took a year for me to get back on my feet and I recovered just in time for graduation. I wasn't the same as how I was before, there was no going back to the me before the death and the loss but I was doing better. I even became a model for a couple of years before I decided to move to America and found work in the Body for Protection of Magical Species department in the Magical Congress of the United States of America.

I was beginning to get used to my life in America when it took a strange turn with the sudden appearance of a man who reopened the wounds in my heart and in that instant, my life changed for a second time.