Evie

EVIE (Lisa's Nurse) POV

"I've never loved someone the way that I love you"

My heart shattered.

Neither of the two girls noticed me enter the room, carrying Lisa's new set of bandages for her bath tonight. Both of them being so wrapped up in their conversation. I shouldn't be listening to something that's so obviously just meant for each other, but I can't help but take a few steps backwards and continue to eavesdrop on their conversation.

These two girls are special. When Rosie has told me their backstory, about how she had met Lisa and how their relationship had grown,  I wanted to cry for them. I'm proud of these two girls.

The way they were so clingy to one another, how Rosie slept in Lisa's bed every single night, the way Lisa was constantly talking about her. It was like going back in time, watching myself when I was young and absolutely taken by my now wife.

Alissa and I met when we were 17. We both knew we wanted each other, but being two black, gay women, in a time like that? It was difficult. We tried to stay away from one another at first, terrified at what our parents might think.

But, after realising how in love we really were, after nights of stolen passion, after lusting and chasing after one another for way too long, we came out. We held hands and strolled through town, kissing and touching at every chance we got.

It felt unreal.

I lean against the wall tilting my head slightly to get a good earshot at what they're saying.

"I love you too". Lisa's voice was quiet, but clear. I knew from hearing her crying voice, that she was about to break. She wasn't safe, whoever hurt her was still out there.

Rosie's body wraps around the younger and my heart clenches. They were terrified of losing each other. I remember 6 weeks ago, a hysterical Rosie crying to one of the male nurses, begging him to let her in and see her girlfriend. She hasn't left her side since. Rosie showered Lisa, she took her for walks, she went to eat in the lunchroom with her when Lisa didn't want to eat in her room. They were inseparable.

I could tell how in love they were, I had experienced it myself, and continue to do so every single day. These two girls were meant for each other. I knew in the way they spoke to each other, they way they looked at each other, the way they kissed so openly and lovingly. I can't get out of my head how Rosie's face lit up and the love in her eyes while she watched Lisa walk for the first time. The look she had in her eyes was pure love for the other girl.

I stand there only for a few more minutes, watching Rosie's body rise and fall with every breath, before slowly exiting and shutting the door behind me.

Heyo guys, so this chapter was kind of a special filler chapter. I'm sorry I haven't been as frequent with my updates lately, I've had a head cold and a few issues. Plus, school work is really starting to pile up. BUT I will try and get updates out for you as much as I can. I appreciate all of you guys 🥺💖