41 | Unravelling

You couldn't put it off any longer, even though you weren't bursting to try to convince Mr. Aizawa to keep the tabby kitten, Aki. Most of your classmates had already left the common room and headed back to their rooms, including Todoroki. From a distance, he had waved you goodbye and mouthed good luck.

Drying the last plate with a tablecloth, you took a deep breath. Although you thought Aizawa was a great teacher and sometimes understood your situation without you needing to say anything, that didn't take away the fact that you had yet again broken a 'key rule to life at the dorms'.

Puckering up some courage, you headed towards your homeroom teacher, who stared down at his cup of coffee. Though it was past seven o'clock in the afternoon, you didn't pay much attention to this as you began, "Mr Aizawa, can I talk to you, please?"

Aizawa gave you a sidelong glance before encouraging you to sit in front of him with a lethargic movement. "What is it now, (y/n)?"

You tucked your chair closer to the table as you went through the mental plan you had prepared for this. "Um, so I remember way back when, at the start of school, Mr Principal told me to inform you about any concerns I may have. So..." You trailed, as you noticed a line form between his eyebrows.

As Aizawa remembered that fight against Dabi in the training camp, his mind went blank for a moment. It wasn't possible that you knew about it yet. "I am listening."

Although you could feel your palms becoming sweaty at the thought of Aki's innocently surprised expression if she had to be separated from you, you knew your teachers were more likely to listen to your request if you acted with honesty. "So, what I wanted to say is that I've been hiding something."

"How long have you been aware of this?" Aizawa stared at you dead in the eye, but you didn't bat an eyelid.

I've been aware I've been hiding a kitten since I brought it in, right? What's Mr Aizawa talking about?

"How long have I been aware?" You echoed, trying to buy yourself some time so that you could think things through.

Alarm bells were ringing in Aizawa's mind because of your reaction. If you were trying to tell Aizawa you were hiding something else, then the realisation that he had slipped up would soon set in.

Dread locked your stomach tight, making you regret having that second portion of dinner. In all likelihood, Aizawa was referring to Daiki. All this time, no one had ever believed you when you tried to warn them that something was off with your uncle. Well, no one, except Todoroki.

As he awaited for your response, the truth of the subject at hand clicked.

"I've been aware for about a week." It was a miracle that you didn't stutter, as you studied Aizawa's poker face.

Yet, Aizawa wasn't one for careless mistakes. "First, what have you been hiding, (y/n)?"

"A kitten. I was hoping you'd let her stay at the dorms for a while. Shoto really likes her, and he's planning on taking her home soon, but she needs somewhere to stay until then."

Aizawa rolled his tired eyes, placing his elbows on the empty canteen's table. "You are looking to get suspended again," he said, which sounded more like a statement than a question.

---

Perhaps, because it was the first time you stood next to Todoroki since both of you got punished, his unintended cold words hurt you so much. You clutched your hero costume near your chest, trying to soothe the aching pain as you watched Todoroki take another step away from you.

You swallowed the lump in your throat. "Sho, I understand you don't want to hurt me with your quirk. I-I'll stay out of your way during the exam."

Todoroki gritted his teeth as, out of the corner of his eye, he tried to find his father in the crowd. If it were for Todoroki, you would be in his arms at this very minute. Especially as U.A. had lifted the social distancing between you two for the Provisional Licensing Exam. "(y/n), I also think we shouldn't be seen together today."