•C h a p t e r T h r e e•

Song for chapter three: Gorgeous by Taylor Swift

|Skyler|

The bell sounded throughout the field and within the school just as I stepped in through the front entrance. It was odd to be all alone since my mom was the one who drove me me school on the first day.

I gripped the backpack straps behind me tighter as I weaved my way through the crowds and towards the main office. It was easy enough to find as it was right by the door. I gulped, nudging the door open with a creak. Immediately, I was struck with the musty stench of textbooks and dust.

I made my way towards the secretary's desk and as if on cue she glanced up at me with an eyebrow raised expectantly. Her large thick rimmed glasses drooping down the bridge of her wrinkled nose. I eyed the name tag on her desk labelled "Ms. Laura."

"Hi, Ms. Laura, I'm a new student going into grade 11, I was told I'd be able to find my schedule and classes here," I explained. "My name is Skyler Young."

"Oh right, the new junior student, you've been mentioned before," she muttered to herself before rummaging around the desk and pulling out a small package. "The school isn't very hard to navigate around, but there is a map in there and your schedule as well. Have a great day," Ms. Laura dismissed me before I could get a word in, turning her attention back to the computer in front of her.

I huffed and turned on my heels, exiting the office. I fixated my attention onto the map to avoid looking awkward and lonely as I made my way down the hall to my assigned locker, glancing up every now and then to avoid running into another student in the crowds. They were all a nice shade of forest green, which I assumed was the school's main colour paired with the typical beige floors.

True to Ms. Laura's words, the school was quite easy to navigate around. I found my locker easily enough just as the last bell sounded throughout the school. I sighed, knowing that I'd have to make my debut into first period as the awkward new kid in front of the whole class. I flung open my locker with ease and shoved my sweater inside, shutting it when I was finished.

I jumped, my heart leaping out of my chest when a new face appeared behind my locker door that I'd just shut.

"Hi!" the girl greeted, a little to enthusiastically might I add, "I'm part of the student council, and it's my job to welcome you to Cypress High!"

Ah, that explained it.

"Hey," I responded, a little (a lot) less enthusiastically.

"Ugh sorry about that. I'm forced to say that or else I'd get in trouble," she rolled her eyes, flipping a lock of shiny orange hair behind her back. She was beautiful, a few inches taller than I was, and rosy cheeks that complimented her rosy lips and large eyes. "I'm Josephine, but everyone calls me Josie just cause it's easier."