Backseat Straddle

~Could roses bloom?~ Billie Eilish.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Six Feet Under' by Billie Eilish.

(I used that song because I am just so obsessed with it lol. :-) Please listen to it throughout this chapter if you can! The flow and rhythm sets a mood <3.)

••

Rainey

I settle with a pair of blue skinny jeans and a simple black T-shirt. Retrieving my purse from the nightstand, I squeeze it into my pocket as Riley steps out of the bathroom. I jerk a thumb in her direction, reassuring her that her pair of black jeans and a blue T-shirt was the right choice. Less is more.

As we emerge onto my porch, a black Honda parked at the gates grabs my attention. Alex waves his hand to us from the driver's seat and I extend a quizzical gaze to Riley who is grinning euphorically.

"What? I called him. It will be a lot more fun. Let's go."

I am positive that the minute Riley roused this morning, Alex was the first person to have crossed her mind. But what can I say? Ansel was the only resident of my thoughts the minute I woke up. His sapphire eyes, the way his lips curve up when he smiles and his beautiful dimples that have my heart missing a beat whenever they make their appearances.

The moment we shared in his room was priceless. I can still feel his lips on every area of my body where he left a kiss. This all feels surreal as if it is merely an illusion, but the symbol of his affection presently adorning my finger is enough to devour the doubt.

Riley scampers down the steps like a toddler in the candy aisle of a supermarket and I am equally as elated.

Alex and Ansel are like a package deal; you rarely see one without the other, so I guess it is safe to conclude that Ansel is probably here as well. Suddenly I am not pleased with my choice of attire; maybe I should have just worn a dress and put a bit more effort into my hair. If I knew that I would be seeing my boyfriend today, I would have invested more time and energy into my appearance.

Alex throws me a toothy smile from the driver's seat. I return the favor while discreetly glancing over his shoulders. My earlier hopes are demolished when I discover that the front seat is empty.

Where is Ansel?

I try to conceal a frown as I slide into the backseat. Riley hops into the front and Alex wastes no time to latch his lips onto hers, his hand guiding her small head into his affection.

It must be nice.

My smile returns as I gaze out the window, allowing them privacy. They look cute together and I am genuinely elated for my best friend; Alex is a great guy.

"How are you feeling this morning, Rain?" He smiles at me as he juts his fist over his shoulder. I knock mine against his in a fist-bump, shrugging my shoulders. "Not bad I guess."

Riley reaches over to raise the volume of his stereo. The song: Gangster by Kehlani vibrates through the car as Alex begins his journey down the street.

I squint my eyes at the hot sun hitting my window. The sky is an expanse of sapphire blue, spotted with white fluffy clouds that promises a beautiful day.

If only Ansel was here.

Dropping my gaze to my lap, I idly trace my thumb over the brown band-aid wrapped around my finger. My thoughts are marinating in disappointment and I am perfectly aware that I am already coming off as a clingy girlfriend. Guys don't like that, do they?

"Oh, by the way, we are picking Ansel up at Tim's café in town." I look up as Alex speaks; his mouth set in a knowing smile. "He's coming to the mall with us, so don't look so sad, Rain."