Ch 26 ~ A Friend

The days blurred into weeks in the Woodland Realm, day after day spent under the never-ending canopy of leaves shadowing the sun as the temperature slowly continued to drop with the approach of winter, sending leaves of red and gold fluttering down to the forest floor. Each day was the same for me. Breakfast, archery with the Prince, a quick bite of lunch, and then sword-training with him. After dinner was when I'd wash up from an exhausting day under the trees and then wander around the palace, usually ending up in the healers wing and library, and occasionally running into Nëniel or Tauriel. My archery lesson this morning was tedious, the sun unusually warm for a autumn day, making the forest air stifling.

I drag a hand down my face as I stalk through the dim halls of the palace, making my way to the kitchens for a snack. Despite the cool air inside, sweat makes its way down my back under my loose tunic, already dreading the next few hours I would spend sword fighting with the Prince.

I grumble to myself. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the sword fighting. That was my natural element, something I have been doing since I was young. I just wasn't used to training with someone who wasn't my brothers or mother. And especially not with the Prince. There was something unnerving about constantly training with him. We could never find a comfortable balance during our time together. One moment we were fine, shooting our usual banter and sarcastic remarks back and forth, and then our of nowhere, something in the air would shift and suddenly I can't even force myself to meet his gaze or even think of him lest I completely confuse myself. His lingering gaze, the incidental brushes of his fingers along my knuckles... I don't know what it all means. And it's that not-knowing, the feeling of being utterly confused, that is the most unnerving.

And the endless confusion does nothing to lesson the dread that grows within in me with every passing day. Two weeks have already passed without a word from either of my brothers or my father. I expected Arwen to continue writing to me, even if it was only about trivial, silly little things sisters usually shared with one another, but even she had gone silent.

And the mystery of my mothers survival continues to hang over my head. So tantalizingly close, yet just beyond my grasp.

If only Elrohir and Elladan took me with them. Then maybe I wouldn't be alone here, forced to suffer in confusion and ignorance and-

"Celé?"

A bright, female voice jolts me out of the thoughts clouding my mind. I turn to see Nëniel striding toward me, her guards armor clicking softly with every step, Tauriel following at her heels.

"Are you all right?" Her dark brows are furrowed as she nears me. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Fine," I lie, slipping a convincing smile onto my face. I give Tauriel a polite nod, the guard returning my greeting with a thin-lipped smile.

Nëniel's eyes narrow as she studies me but after a moment, she relents, giving me a little smile.

"You're looking lost again, need a guide?" she jokes lightheartedly, a mischievous grin on her face.

There's no way she bought me lie and I know she will confront me about it later but for now, I just return her smile.

"Very funny, Nën," I drawl with a smirk, "but I know where the kitchens are."

"Well, we're going for lunch now. Want to come?"

I shake my head. "It's alright. I'm just getting a quick bite."

Nëniel's brows narrow again, promise of weaning out the truth from me later flickering behind her eyes, but she just nods and giving a curt farewell, disappears down the hall with her sister.