Prologue

**Reconstructed**

"When raindrops fell down from the skyThe day you left me, an angel criedOh, she criedAn angel cried, she cried"

The day you left me, an angel cried
Oh, she cried
An angel cried, she cried"

~ Raindrops - Ariana Grande

Empress Black, a
young black woman who names embodies an aura of strength and resilience.

And as many young black women mothers do, they grow their beautiful daughters to be strong-willed, independent, cunning, and confident in their stride.

As good as that may be, such an upbringing could have a downside to such. As Empress was never really allowed to come to terms with her emotions, her vulnerability since she wasn't really much allowed to.

Like her zodiac sign, Aquarius,  she was a very creative and intellectual person, and also a bit of an introvert. Her life felt just about right to her, everything was good. She had a small circle of friends, her mother was healthy, and she was starting her first job as a teenager.

But there was something, a longing, a part of her yearning for something or should we say, someone.

Her Father.

The man who hadn't bothered to make himself known or had even taken the chance to get to know his daughter.

Don't get it wrong, her mother was the best single mother she could ask for but she often wonders. Who was her father and why did he leave?

She tried to ask her mother, Nala, but she would always say I would tell you when you're older but that chance never came when her mother fell ill with cancer.

Empress couldn't possibly push that question onto her mother seeing how she was so ill. Through those years she lost many friends because of overworking and studying. She never had time to go out with friends and enjoy her teens. She was too busy working part-time jobs to pay her mother's medical bills.

And by the time she finished school, her mother had gotten even worse than ever and the prices for her medical bills went higher.

Empress wanted to give up, she felt so stressed out and hopeless but her mother always kept that same encouraging smile.

"It's okay baby, don't worry about me take care of yourself," her mother always told her but how could she? When was trying so hard to hold onto her?

She thought life was against her but one day when she had gone to an atm to get some money for her mother's medication was when she was stunned.