Chapter 2 - Little Gilbert

Walking into the tavern made memories of me working at my "father's" restaurant come flooding forward. I felt tears start to prickle around my eyes as I thought of them and how long it's been since I've seen them.

"Over here, Erikah" I heard Damon's voice year me out of thought.

Damon led me over to a table in the corner and waved his hand toward the bar, I rolled my eyes.

"A little early to have a drink, Damon" I told him laughing.

"Not when you are the town drunk" he replied back, losing a bit of his smile.

"What are you doing here, Damon" A harsh voice came from behind me. I jumped in my seat still not used to not having super hearing. I peeked over my shoulder to find a tall guy standing there. He looked young, probably around his mid-20s.

"Gilbert, I'm just taking my friend out for some food. Look at her, she is wasting away," Damon's reply came out with a touch of irritation. However, at the sound of his words my stomach grumbled some more. This man was Jeremy Gilbert I thought as realization crept through me. The famous Gilbert brown eyes and high cheekbones were a dead giveaway.

"Are you going to hurt her like you hurt my sister?" Jeremy's response sounded harsh as he folded his arms over his chest. The look of anger was written all over his face.

"Little Gilbert, please. I'm really sorry about Elana but she hasn't been a part of my life for years. Let us eat and we will be out of your way," Damon's face fell as those words came out of his mouth.

"I'll get you 2 burgers to go," Jeremy replied, turning around and walking away.

"Why don't we wait by the door, huh?" I suggested as I did not want another showdown between the two boys. Damon nodded and stood up with me.

"Erikah, I'm sorry if that was awkward, I was just trying to show you the town" Damon told me as he led me toward the food.

"Damon, you're fine. I promise." He smiled at my words. "But, we need to talk." His smiled quickly turned into a frown.

"Nothing bad," I continued "But, I have been dead for 8 years. I need to see my family, both of my familys. I have to leave tonight and go to Maine then to New Orleans to the Mikaelsons. I have to see and make sure they are alright" I told him as Jeremy came walking up with 2 two go containers.

"Thanks Jeremy," I replied, grabbing the boxes.

"I'm sorry you couldn't stay...." His voice trailed off. I realized I never introduced myself to him.

"It's Erikah...Erikah Mikaelson," I replied, holding out my hand for him to shake. His eyes widened at the mention of my name,

"You're supposed to be dead, right?" Jeremy muttered looking towards Damon. "And from what I recall, Erikah was a vampire." He continued.

"I heard you have also had experience with returning from the dead, Jeremy, along with that Bennett witch," I replied.

Jeremy gave a small chuckle "Touché" He turned his head towards Damon. His expression hardened and his mouth tightened.

"Treat her better than Elana, Damon" He voiced, harshly, pointing behind Damon. This was our cue to leave. I nodded towards Jeremy before turning around and pulling Damon out with me.

"That went well," Damon said with a smirk. I just shook my head at him and followed him back to his car.

"So, your family..?" Damon started as I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Where do they live?" Damon continued asking.

"Maine, only about a 16 hour drive from here," I replied crunching the numbers in my head.

"So I'm guessing a road trip if you want to see them?" He asked, opening his car door. I looked at his face and all I could see was hope.

"That would be great, Damon." I smiled towards him, opening the passenger side door and getting in.

"It would be faster if you used your little witchy magic to get us there," Damon continued as he got into the driver side of the car. My whole body froze at the thought, was I still a witch, I wasn't a vampire anymore but maybe the ancestors didn't just send me back as a regular human but back to what I was before I "died" during the transition to become a vampire.

"I assumed I was human," I responded, turning my head toward Damon.

"Gotta try, right?" Damon shrugged and gestured around him. I raised one eyebrow at him.

"Well, do some magic or voodoo, anything" Damon chuckled, gesturing again around him.

I paused and took a deep breath. Magic was something I haven't done in 8 years, who knows if I was even still a witch. I decided to just open myself up to the energy in the world then trying to do a spell.  I relaxed my body and opened myself up. I felt a small tug before I felt an inflow of amazing energy. I could see the colors of the air as they swirled all around me and I could feel everything; the energy from the birds, the people, and even Damon's car.

When I was half vampire, I couldn't feel the energy of the world as much. It was very dull and it was like scraping the bottom of the cookie jar. It was non-existent, but since I was no longer undead I was free to feel all the energy in the world.

"I haven't felt this energy since I was 19 years old" I told Damon turning but towards.

"Wow, Erikah, you're glowing. Like literally glowing" Damon replied as his  face morphed into astonishment. I looked down at my hands and I could see the faintest gold glow coming off me.

"It must be the energy that I'm drawing in from all around me," I told him as I released the energy I was holding.

"Come on, let's go see your family," Damon murmured as he winked at me.