Fennel

Latin name: 

Foeniculum vulgare

Know it:

Fennel has grown around the Mediterranean for a millenia. Greeks and Romans drank the tea for courage. The Romans popularized fennel's use throughout Europe during their conquest.

Often used in culinary pursuits because of its liquorice-like taste, fennel's magickal properties are also abundant, including fertility, love, strength, courage, longevity, healing, and divination. It can bestow eloquence and confidence to an individual.

One of fennel's most unique abilities though, is its ability to protect from meddling or nosy individuals. It provides privacy and repels interference.

It also has associations with fire, air, both masculine and feminine energies, Midsummer and Virgo.

Grow it:

Fennel is in the carrot family, along with dill. However, it is not a good companion for veggies. But when planted in pots or a separate bed, fennel attracts many beneficial insects to the garden. Pollinators also love fennel's clusters of small yellow flowers!

Fennel is best planted directly from seed and does not transplant well. It can do well in a pot and indoors, but needs at least 6 hours of direct sunlight. Fertile, well-draining soil is also a must.

Only some types of fennel produce bulbs. Bulbs are harvested once they are several inches across, but can only be stored a few days in a refrigerator.

Fennel leaves can be harvested at any point in the growing season. When harvesting fennel can be cut back aggressively as it will bounce back even bushier. In some places, the plant is considered invasive and can be found on roadsides, in pastures, and other open areas.

Use caution when wildcrafting, as this edible looks very similar to other poisonous plants. 

Use it:

Hung in doorways on Midsummer, fennel provides protection against malicious magick and energy to those who live within.

Seeds are used medicinally and harvested after they turn brown. Chewing fennel seeds or sipping fennel tea calms the digestive system, but also often used when fasting as it reduces hunger. Combinations of ginger, mint, and fennel aid in digestion, including relieving stomach pain, gas, and bloating. It's gentle enough for kids as well.

A tea of fennel, dandelion root, and chickweed flushes out toxins. Fennel tea or syrup can also help with coughs.

It has been used to flavor salads, beverages, eggs, fish, baked goods, soups, vegetables and more. Fennel was once popular in brewing liquors. Sweet fennel, along with grande wormwood and green anise, is traditionally used to flavor absinthe.

The bulb of fennel is delicious. Raw fennel has a licorice taste, but the roasted bulb is sweeter. Infuse a meal with love and longevity by roasting a bulb of fennel under a Virgo moon. All you need is the bulb, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Here's how:

Slice the bulb into quarters.

Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Roast at 400 F for 40 minutes. The edges will be nicely caramelized when they are finished.

Fennel also makes a pretty garnish and the beautiful, feathery foliage has been used in flower arrangements.

Check out themoonmanual.com for digital downloads of art, my book, and more!