⚜Chapter 22⚜

Alive And Kicking

❇❇❇❇

She is the sword guarding her family and he is the shield protecting her.

❇❇❇❇

Isabelle laid across Elijah's chest while he traced the skin of her spine with his fingers. Their bodies were covered in silk sheets as Elijah's fist closed around her hair strands when he felt her fangs dig into his neck.

His eyes rolled back in his head when she began to take her fill. A moan escaped her lips when he shifted her naked form on top of his as she continued to drink.

For weeks now, she hadn't been able to keep any human blood down. It did nothing to sustain her. And because the lives growing inside her were also part vampires, blood was necessary for them. 

Isabelle had found it absurd that she was unable to look at any blood without throwing up and that was when her mate had graciously offered his vein. He refused to leave anything to chance when it came to her health.

Elijah hummed as he closed his eyes and felt her retract her fangs but continue to kiss his neck all the way to his collarbone. 

Within moments, he had them flipped on the bed trapping her body underneath his as he dipped his head to kiss off the remnants of his blood from her mouth.

She let out a lazy moan against his lips and her hands raked down his muscular back.

Pregnancy hormones and their ever-growing desire for each other barely allowed them to leave the bed for hours at a stretch. Not that either of them complained.

"I don't want to go back," Elijah murmured against her lips before his body fell beside her on the mattress and she snuggled up in his side.

"Then we won't." She spoke pecking his shoulder while his fingers drew circles on her back.

"You do realize that our siblings cannot be left to fend for themselves, right?" He said staring at the ceiling with a frown.

"Ah, they'll manage." 

"Or, they could, you know, kill each other." He countered making her snort.

"My bet is that Niklaus will end up daggering one of them or throwing Stefan in a dungeon." Elijah laughed at her words before pulling her closer to kiss her temple.

"Weren't you the one who threw away the daggers in the Mississippi once I had returned from facing one myself?" He asked making her smile sheepishly.

"I did. I was furious at him for daggering you and Kol. He's better off without them." She shrugged as he chuckled.

"He doesn't know it yet. The last time he saw a dagger was when we fought Marcel for the city." 

Isabelle waved her hand dismissively, "He doesn't need to know. At least I hope none of our siblings will make him want to find his daggers." 

She looked up at him when he didn't reply. He was looking at her adoringly. 

"What?" She asked softly.