21 My Brother's Beta

So because you awesome fans voted and commented on "Six Words" (for my english class) I got 100%!!!!! I think that deserved an upload, si?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Chapter Twenty-One

I was still feeling guilty over the fact that Aaron so clearly was waiting for me to be on the same wave as him, but I managed to pull up a smile and pretend that I was enjoying myself as he continued packing away all the science equipment. It was like I didn’t enjoy being around him; it was just that I had this lingering thought in the back of my mind that Aaron would get sick of waiting, and would leave me for someone who could reciprocate his feelings.

When everything was cleaned and packed away, Aaron swiftly jumped over the bench – one hand on the granite landing – and landed effortlessly in front of me. “Ready?”

“For what?” I asked. I’m pretty sure that he had only planned for a science lesson. Or maybe…

No, surely he wasn’t dragging me off for another science block! I like Aaron, but science is just… Uninviting.

He laughed, filling my ears with the greatest sound on Earth. “We have school, you nufty.”

“Did you just call me a nufty?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He shook his head. “No. Definitely not.”

I gave him a ‘what the hell’ look, resembling Jackie Chan’s confused look to a tee. “I think you did, Aaron.”

“Why would I call my lovely, amazing mate that?” he asked innocently, wrapping my left hand into both of his, as he looked deep into my eyes. “My beautiful, gorgeous, intelligent-“

“Don’t try and sweet talk me, boy,” I laughed, patting him on the chest. “Doesn’t work on me.”

It does actually. He grinned, “That’s what I lov-like about you.”

I frowned at his poor attempt of his catch, unable to look into his eyes. Instead, I concentrated on his hands, holding them in mine and messaging them slightly. I noticed a few scars, but decided to not bring them up. “You can say it, you know.”

“Say what?” he asked, playing dumb. He’s actually quite a smooth liar – but I can see through it. I also have been able to.

“You know,” I said, trying to give the impression of the L-word without actually saying it myself. “That word…”

“I shouldn’t say it around you,” he said quietly, his gaze cast down at our hands, too. I looked up at him in shock. Didn’t he love me anymore? I know it’s selfish to want him to love me without having to myself, but I am going in that direction. I just need more time to really get to know him, properly.

I took a deep breath, trying not to show my worry. “Why not?”