Chapter 28

Up above is who I'm casting as Trevor Durin. The name is Titus Makin Jr.

There was a knock at the door of the room, and my roommate was gone. I quickly tucked my journal under the mattress out of sight and went to open it.

"Durin."

"Hey Jaeger. I was talking to Klarke and she said something about dropping this off to you. I was already planning on coming here anyway so I offered to bring it. I think it's homework or something."

I grimaced at the stack of books and papers. Most definitely homework. My dad had said that I would still do my schoolwork while I was here, and apparently he was serious about that. I grabbed the large stack from his arms and groaned at the weight of it.

"You know you could just not do it. It's not like we really need school anyway," Durin said with a laugh.

"So is that what you did then? Are you just here because you dropped out of school and don't have anything better to do so you decided to crash this training experiment?"

"No, I graduated last year." His smile widened when my eyes narrowed at him.

"So much for not needing it then. Besides I'm trying to get an actual job too. You know, one you can tell neighbors that you have so they don't think you're a lazy bum or something."

"That's why you just live in a hunter neighborhood, or just at headquarters."

"I really don't think I'd like to live in this suffocating place every day of my life," I said rolling my eyes.

"I don't blame you."

"Is that what you plan to do then? Live at headquarters or a hunter neighborhood?"

"Heavens no. I plan on going to college."

So we didn't need school, but he planned on furthering his education. I wanted to roll my eyes at him again.

"And what do your parents think of that one?"

"They've got me on a tight leash, I'll admit that. They think I'm going against them and The Organization because I want to go to college and give myself other opportunities. As if doing any of that's going to make me less loyal to the cause or something."

I was surprised; Durin was a lot like me. Though I doubted he had a werewolf girlfriend stashed off somewhere far away from headquarters.

"Anyway, they only keep the at-risk people in headquarters. Well, except for this program now. I suppose you could call newbies at-risk though."

"What do you mean?"

"The at-risk group. They're ones who made mistakes or tried to go against The Organization. They have to train them all over again. I suppose it's sort of like what we're doing now, only more intense to put them back on the right path.

"Once you're done with retraining, they place you in headquarters as an at-risk. They keep you away from the jobs; make you gather the intel we use to go on hunts. They're the ones that get you all the information you need before you go in."

They had a program set up for people who deviated from the path; people who acted against The Organization, or just didn't see the same anymore.

They had a program like that, and the past five days I had been walking around blatantly disagreeing or starting something with almost every instructor here. My heart sped up like it was ready to lurch out of my chest.

There's no proof though, I said to myself. That was true, this was just Durin's word. I'd never heard of such a thing; training for hunters who deviated from The Organization's ways. All the intel we got coming from the at-risk hunters, ones who were just starting back on the path? That made no sense, that would mean there were at least thirty of them at all times, and that was a low number. Where would they be able to keep all of those people? Surely if they were here we would have seen them at some point, but the only people we ever saw were the other students and the instructors.