Chapter 105 - Hogsmeade with the Trio

You can all have a smiley face just fair showing up :). Ooh no you can have two :)

 The next few weeks passed by, and Al continued to attend her lessons with Dumbledore, along with two more Slug Club meetings, and running the Duelling Club. She began to hang out more with Harry, Ron and Hermione, either in the library to study, or in their usual stairway alcove in a secluded corner of the castle. All four of them were finding that the common rooms were usually full of stares and whispers, so it was nicer to get some privacy. The teachers seemed to ease off the homework ever so slightly now that they were in a routine, and soon enough it was the first Hogsmeade weekend. Al considered not bothering to go, because Daphne and Theo were having a date, but then Harry invited her to go with them, and she gladly accepted.

 Al awoke at her usual time that Saturday morning, and wrapped herself up in two jumpers, thick socks and boots, carrying her thick, black winter cloak and the navy blue hat, scarf, and mitten set that she'd bought last winter. She ate a quick breakfast and followed the three of them into the Entrance hall, fastening her cloak as she did so. "Ready?" she asked, and the all nodded eagerly, apparently in good spirits.

 The walk into the village was not a pleasant one, and seemed to drag in the bitter wind that whipped their faces, despite their low-bent heads. Finally, they reached the main street, and Ron pointed to Honeydukes. The four of them nodded in understanding and made their way in, sighing with relief at the sugar draped air and warmth that clung to their numb cheeks.

 Al glanced around, not particularly wanting anything, but then remembered that Remus's favourite chocolate was from here. She picked him up a few bars and went back over to Harry. "For Remus," she explained, "He could use a pick-me-up."

 "Here, I'll chip in," he offered, handing her a few sickles and she went off to pay. When she returned, putting the chocolate into her bag, she saw Slughorn chatting to Harry and glancing at Hermione, but apparently unaware that Ron was even stood there.

 "And there she is!" Slughorn beamed as Al approached, "My other star student! You'll be able to make Monday night, I suppose?"

 "Oh, yes, Sir," Al said, smiling, "I'll have to leave for prefect rounds at nine, but that sounds great." And with a wave, he went off and out the shop. They elected to go to the Three Broomsticks next, but were stopped on their way when they saw Mundungus Fletcher selling something in the street. He dropped a bunch of silverware onto the ground and Al saw with a jolt that it had the Black family crest on it. "You stole this from Sirius?" she demanded, clutching her wand without even realising it.

 But Harry had already pinned him up against the wall, wand pointed at him. "What did you do- go back and strip the place?" Hermione squeaked for Harry to stop, and Ron stared on helplessly but Al remained perfectly calm.

 Mundungus was going a red-purple colour now and Al went up to Harry and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "You know, I wouldn't blame you for killing him, but you won't be able to press charges then."

 "P-press charges?" Mundungus spluttered, his eyes darting between them.

 "That's Harry's stuff you've taken," Al pointed out quietly, "He could sue for quite a lot of money."

 "I-uh...there'll be no need...really sorry, Harry-Mr Potter, Sir," Mundungus said, now looking quite terrified. Before Harry could make a decision, though, there was a loud bang, and Tonks appeared. Harry flew back just as Mundungus had grabbed his case and disapparated before anyone could do anything.

 "COME BACK YOU THIEVING PIECE OF DRAGON DUNG!" Harry yelled into the swirling air, as Tonks tried to calm him down, but not seeming very committed. Eventually, with the combined efforts of Al, Ron and Hermione, Harry was dragged into the Three Broomsticks. "He was nicking Sirius's stuff!" Harry protested, "My stuff!"

 "Alright, let's go and sit down," Al suggested, avoiding the stares of the various Hogwarts students and a couple of Warlocks, "Here, Hermione, could you get a round in?" She fished in her purse and gave her two galleons and four sickles, before guiding Harry to a table in the corner.

 Harry sat in a grumpy silence while Ron watched the bar for the barmaid and Hermione explained that he'd taken quite a fancy to her. Al chattered quite happily to her about the various subjects they did, namely potions and transfiguration and all the fascinating theories they were covering. But the appearance of Mundungus had taken quite a blow to the general mood, so they agreed to take the freezing walk back up to the castle.

 They'd been walking for no more then ten minutes up the path, when one of the two seventh-years in front of them dropped something onto the pathway beside them and in the same instance, the one on the right floated elegantly into the air. Bell, Al thought her name was. She played Quidditch with Harry. It was an eerie sort of floating, echoing silence all around the group of five.

 Al stood watching, transfixed, and curious as to what might happen next. And then Bell let out an ear-splitting scream and students up and down the path stopped and stared and Al knew something was awfully, horribly wrong. Bell fell to the floor, dropping as though she were made of lead, and continued to thrash around and scream.

 Al rushed forward, her wand already drawn, ignoring Harry's yells to get back and Hermione's to find a teacher. "Nobody touch that package," she ordered, conjuring a stretcher immediately afterwards. She levitated Bell onto it, but still she persisted in her flailing. "Incarcerous," Al said, unable to throw the panic and urgency from her voice. Then, in equal urgency and care, she levitated the package to a good three feet away from anyone and set off towards the castle at a sprint.