𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 28.

━ 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗶𝗻 𝗽𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗳𝘁𝗼𝗽.

    "𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐄𝐋 𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐆𝐄," 𝐒𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐇 announced with a smile.

   Walking, I flattened down the light pink dress as hers flowed in front of me, the ends of it fluttering softly in the satin breeze, and my white heels clicking on the pavement of the sidewalk. I had never been so dressed up before. In fact— the only dresses I owned were sundresses, although I'd barely gone out in the City and they never got any wear. I've also never needed to go to a formal event, ever.

    As a homeschooler, I never had a homecoming, never went to birthday parties, and never even went to a school dance. I'd never had the opportunity to get dressed up and go to a pristine party full of guests that I didn't know, although I'd tried it many times in secret to see what it all felt like— putting makeup on alone in my room, getting ready to go absolutely nowhere. Sometimes I'd go into my mom's closet when my parents weren't home, just to see some of her clothes that she— I assumed— wore to events, and all of her trays of makeup.

    I'd always thought it was crazy; my parents were "famous", yet, I'd never even been to a single event in all my life. My parents were celebrities, but yet I don't even own a gown, or an expensive purse, or a diamond bracelet with matching diamond earrings.

    "Have you guys ever been to a college before?" She let out a small laugh as she stopped, joining me at my hip before walking with us in a line. I assumed she noticed our gazes.

     John B and I were staring at the beautifully architecture of the building next to us in awe.

    "I have never been to a college before, no," John B answered her with his bottom lip popped out.

    "Me neither," my lips formed into a tight line.

    "Well that's a gap in your training," she laughed in response. "How do you like it?" Her cheeks creased with an excited smile.

    I looked to John B as he spoke. "So far so good," he chuckled lowly.

    "So, my dad went here," She began to explain, looking away from us and up towards the huge college. "And then his dad went here, and then his dad's dad went here," she said with a certain tone, as if she were annoyed by it.

    "That's pretty rough," John B sighed.

    I nudged my arm into his stomach lightly.

    "Yeah I know," she giggled, "He would have an absolute aneurysm if I didn't go here, which is— kind of annoying," she sighed, "but, what can you do."

    I wondered what it was like, having your life planned out like that.

    "What about you guys?" She turned her head to us beside her.

    "Uh..." John B searched for the right words, gripping onto the straps of his backpack, "college has never really been on my radar," he said casually, and with a small shrug. I thought about how he lived by himself, and the fact that he wouldn't necessarily be able to pay for college on his own.

    "What about you, Tina," Sarah nudged me with her elbow.

    I giggled at the undercover name, but felt my stomach tighten, "I don't really know," I said honestly, while popping out my bottom lip as well, "guess I'll have to see when I go back to New York,"

    John B cleared his throat quietly.

    "Yeah— so, when are you going back?" She suddenly asked me, her voice soft and her eyebrows only a tad bit narrowed.