Chapter 19

Author's PoV:

Mariam didn't fail to notice the exchange of glances between her eldest son and the lady sitting beside her. She also noticed how her son looked a bit different today. He was not wearing his usual frown and his body seemed quite relaxed, unlike everyday. She wondered what made such a change in him but was sure that it was because of Ashiya. She looked at her and saw her eyelashes were bowed down. Picturing her as his son's bride, she smiled widely.

"Mom can you please pass that jar?" Ahan said to bring his mother out of her dream.

"Yeah," She replied and passed it to him. She kept looking at her son before an idea popped into her mind. Smiling mischievously, she spoke, "Arhaan, don't you think it's high time for your elder brother to get married?" Arhaan and Ashiya looked up surprised while Ahan almost choked out on his juice.

"What?" He almost yelled with his eyes wide.

"Of course Mom, I think that's a great idea!" Arhaan chirped with a bright smile. "But we don't know what kinda girl Bhai likes so..." He said and Ahan's eyes immediately went to Ashiya. It was like a reflex, although she was everything he didn't like in a girl - talkative, outspoken, careless, clumsy and the list could go on and on. Yet his eyes automatically travelled to the troublemaker in front of him as soon as the question was asked. Ashiya sensed his gaze and looked up to which he quickly averted his eyes. He looked over at his Mom and saw her smiling broadly at him.

"I don't want to get married," He spoke curtly making the smile drop.

"Oh shut up!" Mariam whined, "one day you will have to get married no matter what you say now. I'm sure there's some one out there made for you, we just need to find her."

"Mom I'm not--"

"At least tell us what kind of girl do you want," Arhaan cut him and received a death glare in return.

"Drop that glare and tell us," Mariyam commanded. Ahan knew he didn't have an escape now as his mother was hell bent on making him speak up.

"I don't know..." Ahan said but surrendered when he earned another glare from his mother, "maybe someone who's responsible, graceful. Someone who doesn't talk much since, you know, I don't like people who are talkative.But most importantly, she should have a strong faith in Allah (s.w.t)," he concluded. Ashiya listened to him and then compared his choice with herself. She scolded herself internally when she realised what she was doing.

"Okay..." Mariyam said dramatically, "I'll try to find a girl like that. But let me tell you son, love doesn't happen according to your choice. It happens automatically and when it does, all you do is adore that person no matter how many faults he or she possesses." She knew her son too well to understand that the traits he listed were said more to convince himself than anyone else in the room. "What about you Ashu?" She asked suddenly making Ashiya blink in surprise.

"Me? I don't think I'm ready for marriage yet..." Ashiya spoke with a nervous smile.

"Yeah but there must be some qualities that you're looking for in a man," Mariam said in an obvious tone. Ashiya looked upwards for few seconds, thinking. Ahan now had his full attention towards her and his mother suppressed a smile at that.

"I want someone who...will not try to change me. I love myself the way I am and I won't change for anybody. Therefore, he should learn to love me like that only or else he can find someone else! Also, I want a man who'll be a good parent for our children, someone who'll help me to get closer to My Creator. And yeah, he should have a good sense of humor, I don't wanna spend my life with a frowning penguin" Ashiya completed and Mariam raised her eyebrows looking at Ahan who seemed to be in a deep thought now. "Now Arhaan, you tell us what's your dream girl like?"

"Someone religious, smart, educated and you know the regular traits..." He replied nonchalantly, "but I'm not gonna marry before Bhai does!" He declared earning a chuckle from Mariam.

.

.

.

Mariam's PoV:

The boys left for work soon after the breakfast. Ashiya too went to the mall for some shopping so I was sitting alone in the house, thinking about what happened today. Ahan and Ashiya...

Smiling to myself, I picked up my phone and dialled Saba's number. The call went unanswered so I thought she must be busy but then I got a call back from her soon.

"Assalamualaikum Saba," I greeted over the call, "hope I'm not disturbing you."

"Walaikum Assalam habiti!" She greeted back happily, "and no, you ain't disturbing me. Tell me how are you?"

"Very well, Alhamdulillah. What about you?"

"Amazing, I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to be here..."

We talked for some time about the children, Saba's experience over there and how she was not liking the food there because they lacked the spices. Saba was a lover of spicy food. She was the one who took pride in the type of rich cuisine we had. She was also a big foodie, something she has passed on to her daughter as well. Thinking about Ashiya, I decided to talk to her about what I was thinking.

"Saba," I said and she hummed in response, "I need to talk to you about something."

"Yeah tell me." She replied.

"Umm...not now," I said after thinking for a moment, " it would be better to talk when you will be here. It's a serious issue."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes, Alhamdulillah, everything is good. Don't you worry. And please pray for all of us."

"Of course I will," she replied.

We talked for few more minutes and then hung up after saying Allah Hafiz. I hope Saba agrees to what I'm thinking...