Chapter Ten - Part I

"RING RING"

"Hello?"

"Hi Jen, Irene here; was wondering if you'd like to do coffee tomorrow morning?"

"Uh hi Irene, sorry I'll have to pass on that."

"Oh, okay. Got something going on?" Irene asked.

"Excuse me Irene, but I'm just walking out the door and a bit pressed for time."

Irene bristled at the non response and being dismissed but kept her tone even, "Sure, some other time then maybe, bye."

"Good bye" Jennie replied and disconnected the call, rushing out the door and into her car.

After Jennie had been hard at work for over two hours straight, Tina a co-worker of hers, called out to her from the office door, "Jennie?"

"Yes, just finishing up a report; what's up?" Jennie replied not looking up from her computer.

"There are three different people here to see you."

"Three different? What do you mean?" as she looked up confused and curious.

"Well, a really gorgeous woman came in asking to speak with you and not a moment later, two rough looking suits came in asking to see you too."

"Who is the woman?" Jennie eagerly asked.

"A Ms. Manoban, she says you know her?" Tina looked at her with a little tilt of her head in question.

"Yes, I do! Who were the suits?"

"They said Detectives Robinson and Harmon"

"Detectives? Wonder why and what for."

Shrugging her shoulders Tina said, "They didn't say."

"Okay, um can you bring Ms. Manoban over and sit the detectives in a meeting room, tell them I'll be with them in a few minutes" Jennie asked while rising from her chair and unconsciously straitening out her clothes.

"Sure thing" Tina replied chuckling at Jennie's reaction and headed back towards the entry foyer.

"She's in here" Tina motioned into Jennie's office and closed it after Lisa entered.

"Hello Lisa, what a surprise, how are you?"

"Well thank you. I stopped by in hopes of asking you out for a coffee, but it seems you have business to attend to that has just asked for you as well."

"Oh," Jennie said disappointedly, "Yes, I don't know what they would want of me though."

"I shall not take up any of your time so that you may find out" Lisa turned as if to leave.

"Would you mind if I asked you to stay? I know that it's an imposition but that way once I'm done with them, you and I can go get that coffee?" Jennie asked as she did not want to miss an opportunity with Lisa.

"If you so wish, then I shall stay and wait for you"

"Thank you! I'll be back as soon as possible, um, did you want to sit here or on the sofa outside the meeting room which is more comfortable than these office torture devices they call chairs.""The sofa will do nicely, thank you" Lisa turned and followed Jennie out towards the meeting room.

"Okay, I'll be out in a tic" Jennie said while Lisa nodded as she sat down and picked up a magazine.

Jennie entered the meeting room to find two women standing, waiting somewhat impatiently for her.