Ten

"Hey Mom. Is Dad there too? I need to talk to both of you?" I spoke through the phone after hearing my mother's soothing voice answer.

"Yes, he's sitting right next to me. I'll put you on speaker," Mom answered.

"Hi honey!" Dad called.

"Hi Dad!" I answered.

"So what do you need to talk about?" Mom asked.

"Oh well. Please don't freak out, but I got married last week." I told them.

"Married? To who? Jack? I thought you two broke up weeks ago." Mom asked.

"No, not to Jack, we did break up and still are broken up. My husband's name is Luke, I met him years ago and we reconnected before my breakup, but didn't start seeing each other until after," I answered.

"Have we ever met him?" Dad asked.

"No Dad, you haven't."

"While I'm not happy about this sweetheart, I guess there is nothing we can do about it now." Mom sighed.

"Trust me Mom, you'll love him," I promised her.

"What's he like?" Mom asked.

"He's Australian and he sings and plays guitar in a band—"

"A band? Does he even make any money?" Dad cut in.

I rolled my eyes, "Yes Dad, his band is world famous. Trust me, he makes more than enough money. And even if he didn't, I wouldn't care because that's not why I married him." The fact my dad even asked that question made me a little upset, but it was my father, so I couldn't exactly just go off on him.

"I just want the best for you Adalyn," My dad said.

"I know Dad," I sighed, "Listen, I have to go. I promise you'll meet him soon."

"Bye honey, I love you," Mom said.

"Bye, love you too," I responded before ending the call. I pushed myself off the bed and threw on a sweatshirt before heading downstairs. It was early morning and Luke's management scheduled an interview for the two of us in the afternoon.

"Morning," I greeted Luke before grabbing a mug out of the cabinet and a K-Cup to put in the Keurig.

"Morning," He responded as I put the K-Cup into the machine and hit start.

"I called my parents."

"Really?"

"My dad had the nerve to ask if you made any money when I mentioned you were in a band. That's just so frustrating to me," I groaned.

"Hey it's okay, it's a fair question. Honestly it's a question I get quite often of people don't know who I am," Luke shrugged.

I sighed, "Yeah I know, but like he's my dad. He should be happy for me no matter what, not concerned about whether or not the man I marry has money or not."

"He just wants the best for you."

I grabbed my finished coffee and took a sip of it, "I know, he told me that on the phone." I sat down next to Luke and stared at my coffee.

"For the interview later, management wants us to wear colors that match each other, so we have to coordinate," Luke mentioned, changing the subject off of what my father had said.

I nodded, "What should I be expecting?"

Luke thought for a moment, "Well, the boys and I have done multiple interviews with this interviewer and he's very nice. It's all pre-recorded, so if you say something that you realize that you don't want to share, you can just say that and they'll cut it out. Other than that, it's just like you're having a conversation, except it's being filmed."

"I'm going to be so awkward."

"You'll be fine, I'll be right next to you the whole time," He promised, placing his hand on top of mine.

I looked down at his hand and let out a small squeak. I wasn't quite sure what to do because we had never really had a genuine encounter like that before.

Luke pulled his hand away, "Shit, sorry. Sometimes I forget that we don't have to keep up this act while we're alone."

"It's okay, it just scared me a little, that's all," I comforted him.

He gave me a small smile before standing up, "I have a couple work things to do."

"I'll see you later I guess," I sighed. He nodded, before heading off to his office. Just like that, things were good and then they got awkward.

"It's fine Adalyn, you two just met like a weeks and a half ago, you can't just expect to be best friends," I muttered to myself as I too, stood up, and put my coffee mug in the sink.

I heard the door bell ring and since I was up, I went and answered it. When I opened the door Michael was standing in front of me.

"Hey, Luke didn't tell me anyone was coming over, come on in," I greeted him.

"Hey Adalyn! Yeah, he doesn't know I'm here either, but he's about to find out," Michael laughed.

I laughed, "He's in his office."

Before I could shut the door I heard a voice, "Adalyn! Don't you dare close that door! We have an interview to get you ready for!"

I peered my head out, and saw Crystal carrying a giant bag of what I assumed were things to help me get ready for my interview.

"Hi Crystal, the interview isn't for another five or so hours," I informed her.

She laughed, "Honey, it's going to take you that long to get ready! Now let's get started so we have time to finish!"

"Okay, we can head up to my room," I told her. She nodded and climbed the stairs, happily following behind me.

When we made it to my room, she sat her bag down on my bed and opened it up.

"Where do you want to start? Wardrobe? Makeup? Hair?"

"Ummm—" was my only answer.

-----

Hey everyone! Sorry it took me so long to update! Everything has been crazy and trying to write chapters for two stories at the same time is hard. Thank you all for being so patient! I hope all of you are enjoying reading, and if you are don't forget to vote!

xx - Sidney