Chapter Five

Nothing could've ever prepared me for the scene I met in front of my house.

My mom is seated in front of our house laughing with Caleb. They seem to be having so much fun which makes me have so much mixed emotions.

Is that Jealousy?, That could've been me in that chair with said Greek God having the time of my life but instead my heart beat quickens and my mouth runs dry.

As if just noticing my presence, they both turn to look my way and all at once their facial expressions turn to one of a deer caught in car lights like I am some sort of monster who came to take their joy away.

My mom is the one who makes the first move and walks towards me.

I make a show of rolling down my window.

"I didn't know you would be here so soon, your therapy session wasn't supposed to end till 4," she sends a tired smile Caleb's way.

"And then I see this fine Gentleman out here leaving a bunch of flowers and I couldn't help myself." She pauses to guage  my reaction but my neutral expression meets her gaze.

"Turns out he's actually my highschool best friends son, how is that even possible?" She continues obviously trying to justify her actions.

"I'm sorry hun, I'll ask him to leave now if you're still not comfortable."

This is the first time my mom has actually talked so animatedly with me so I go along with whatever this is.

"It's okay, I guess," I smile her way.
If I could just walk past him, have one simple conversation, ask him what he wanted from me, if I could just try.

That thought in mind, I get down and take my mom's hand. Caleb stands up like I'm a toddler learning to walk.

Empty your mind Iris, don't think about anything at all, I continue chanting to myself.

My mom squeezes my hand as if giving me some much needed support and reassurance.

"Hi," I say my voice shaking supprising everyone including myself.

My mom immediately starts sniffling and that makes my eyes moist, I did it.

"Hello," Caleb replies, his hand moves to rub his neck sensing the awkwardness.

"I never thought I'd ever get the chance to talk to you in person after you know," He continues shyly.

One wrong move and this could all blow up in all our faces.

I'll be fine as long as he doesn't try to touch me. Put on your bravest face Iris.

"How'd you get my number and why are you stalking me?" I ask trying to give myself an upper hand.

"I have to admit, my dad forced me to apologise at first," he grins.

"We own the Pizza hut," he quickly butts in, "Turns out you're one faithful customer, didn't want to lose you," he quickly adds like I couldn't piece it together myself.

"Still doesn't explain why you've been stalking me." I can already feel my palms becoming sweaty.
I remind myself that my mom is right next to me, I have to calm down.

"You're really beautiful,"He blurts out of no where.

I notice my mom's eyes bulge out of their sockets.

"Sorry, um, my sister has the same condition, I just wanted to make you feel less lonely, loved a little If you would let me. Be your friend." He shrugs.

When I don't reply he stretches his hand to shake me.

And I whimper feeling like he wanted to smack me instead.

"That's enough conversation for one day, don't you think so? come again some other time," My mom comes to my defense and that's when I realize I have been hyperventilating ever since he stretched out his hand.
I walk inside quickly and slam the door at the both of them.

After a few hushed whispers with Caleb, I hear a loud knock on the door.

"He's not here anymore, open the door Iris," my mom says.
I open the door and take note of her tired frame.

"You could've at least been a little more welcoming Iris," she scolds.

"Welcoming, that's the first thing you say to me, you're scolding me mom. Shouldn't you be praising me instead." I whimper really hurt.

"You're eighteen Iris for Christ's sake, how many therapists do you need, how much money, what else can I do to get it into your thick skull that no one is trying to hurt you." She screams at me, frustration evident in her tone of voice.

"Well I'm sorry I got raped by your father," I stab her chest with my finger emphasing each word, my face streams with tears.

"You don't get to pin that on me, I am not my father," she retorts her voice rising higher than mine.

"You know what, I'm sorry you don't have a normal daughter like everyone else, I'm sorry I even exist."

I walk out on her and move to my room. Immediately I get in, I let it all out, all my bottled up pain, I let my nonchalant facade drop and I cry even if it's just for today, I let it all out.

Later that night, I feel my bed dip and someone holds me tight.

On instinct I scream and struggle until finally the person lands with a thud on my room floor.

I hear a feminine groan.

"Mom," I whisper quietly, my face contorts into distortion.

"I'm so sorry, I thought it was," she doesn't even let me finish.

"I don't know what else to do Iris, how to help you, can you do just one thing for me?" I hear the pain in her voice and regret washes over me in waves.

"Let someone in, anybody, I promise you no one is out to hurt you, not anymore," she takes my hand in hers and looks into my eyes.

"By someone you mean Caleb right?" He has already managed to warm his way into both Camila and my mom's heart.

"Yes, but it doesn't have to be him, any male at all, preferably him, he's such a sweetheart," she gushes and that makes me smile.

If that was what it would take for my mom to show me more attention, I would do so in a heartbeat.

"I'll try my best mom, I promise."

That night I fall asleep in her arms talking about everything and nothing in particular.

Yet the smile of a particular brown eyed individual fills my head and for the first time ever I have a dream, one where I am not raped nor molested but cared for and shown affection by the same brown eyed individual who smiled my way.

Arghhh, I'm a sucker for emotional stories.
Thanks for reading
I'll probably update on Thursday
Don't forget to vote, I love y'all.