Thirty Two - Keefe

"WHAT HAPPENED TO ORALIE?" Edaline exclaimed, making Keefe take a step back into the doorframe. Her fragile and soft voice had turned stone hard in a matter of seconds.

"Sorry," Sophie mumbled, "I was still getting to that." She paused. "She, um . . . died."

Edaline stared at her daughter incredulously. "How?"

"We think the Neverseen killed her," Keefe jumped in, taking a cautious step closer to them.

Edaline rubbed her temples like she had an impending headache. "But . . . you can save her?" She asked hopefully, biting her lip so hard Keefe wondered if it would draw blood.

"I think so," Keefe said, helping Sophie up from the bed as she smoothed her tunic—which Keefe noticed, was the same shade as his eyes.

Sophie slowly nodded as she took his hand.

With one last glance at her mother, Sophie split a hole in space and pulled Keefe with her into the dark void. Sandor lunged to grab them, but they were already gone. Sophie closed her eyes tightly and transported them directly into the healing center.

They hit the ground in a run and ran to Oralie's bedside.

Elwin was nowhere in sight, and the only other person in the room was Keefe's mother, who was still passed out on a cot in the corner of the room, her face blanched and body still.

Sophie clutched the bedframe with a white knuckled grip as she looked at her biological mother. "How do we save her?" The words were quiet and solemn leaving her mouth.

"Well," Keefe said with his eyes fixated on Oralie's blood stained dress, "You know how I saved you?" Sophie nodded. "What if you enhance me?"

Sophie's eyes widened. "You think it will work?"

Keefe's shoulders were tout with tension as he whispered, "We have to try."

Sophie tugged out an eyelash before taking his hand again. Her skin was soft and warm, sending tingles up Keefe's spine.

Keefe placed his free hand to the limp Councilor's chest, and closed his eyes.

Sophie's enhancing was intense, and it made him aware of the electrical charges running through his bloodstream. Keefe's whole was thrumming with energy.

As his hand started glowing brightly, Sophie's grip tightened. She watched, transfixed, as Keefe sent sparks into Oralie's body.

He sent another burst of energy and waited, heart rate quickening in his chest.

They waited.

One second.

Two.

Three.

And after the 47th second, Oralie's chest rose and fell.

And she breathed.