↠ 34

You could feel your throat tighten like Yoongi's hand around your hand. The ghoul in front of you did a dramatic take as if they were smelling. "You guys smell good." The muffled voice said and you could feel a sadistic smirk underneath that mask. You tensed up as the group started to back up. You could feel yourself already ready to jump but then a large kagune rose from behind the ghoul and was brought down upon the ghoul.

The ghoul immediately crumpled to the ground. You realized that it wasn't a kagune but a quinque. Great, now you felt somewhat grateful to a Dove. "Get out of here." The familiar voice of the Dove said. Your eyes tore away from the crumpled ghoul to see that it was Soma. You think? Gosh, you forget his name easily. His eyes glance towards the dead ghoul. "Out of the area now." That was all he said as he rushed off to deal with others.

Still, they wasted no time and started to sprint away from the area. Yoongi's hand was literally a vice grip on yours and you took a glance behind you. More Doves arrived on the scene as citizens ran away. You need to get home. After a few blocks was when the group started to tire out and take a rest. Everyone took a while to regain their breaths. Then it was Jungkook who blurted out; "What did I witness?"

"I think those were ghouls." Namjoon answered.

"Really?" Hoseok questioned. He was suspicious.

Namjoon nodded. "Yeah, ghouls usually like flesh, you know." You internally flinched. "And that dude was a Ghoul Investigator. They usually hunt down ghouls." Everyone mulled over the words he said.

"Are you okay?" Yoongi softly asked. He pulled you out of your dazed out stare.

"Y-Yeah." You said. You could see the worry in his eyes. He placed his hands on your shoulders. "We're okay over here. We're safe here." It seemed that the words he was saying to him were more for himself.

Of course. But you're afraid that your secret may slip out. An unknown attack where there was a street full of citizens? Akai Ki was playing a dangerous game. Now you're sure that there were even going to be more Doves over here. And frankly, it was pissing you off.

All you could do was softly smile at Yoongi. You didn't trust your voice at the moment. Seokjin noticed you being quiet and came over to you two. "It's okay, Y/N. I'm sure the investigators will get rid of them." Another nod to his words. After everyone regained their breath, they started to walk towards the cafe. In their words, to make sure you were safe. Saying goodbye, you entered and rushed upstairs.

The first thing to notice was Rei leaning forward, elbows on his knees and intently watching the TV. It showed the news broadcast of ghouls and Doves fighting in the background. You could see blurry figures as the media tried to catch glimpses. "It's already on the news?" You asked Rei.

"Yeah." He replied monotone. Homura, Aika and Michael casted you worried glances. "Did you get caught up in it?" Aika asked, her eyes searching your body for any injuries.

"Not really. I was with my friends." Your eyes widened. "I need to follow them." You rushed to your room to grab your mask.

"Be careful!" Michael yelled as they watched you slip out of the window in the living room. You nodded but you weren't sure if they caught it. Hopping from building to building, you made sure that you hid behind things and kept it quick when looking around for the boys. You finally spotted them and noticed that they were halfway to their apartment. Relief flooded through you. Nothing happened to them. Although, they were speed walking and you wouldn't blame them. You followed them all the way as they entered the building.

They were safe. You looked in the direction of where everything was happening. Already, you could see some smoke rise and if you strained your hearing enough, you could faintly hear the screams and the sound of quinques clashing with kagunes or hitting the ground. There was going to be a fight soon. You could just feel it.

But it was going to be okay. You'll finish everything that Akai Ki started. You'll be there to watch it burn down to the ground. A smile unknowingly formed on your face from the thought. It was a promise. You glanced around the area, seeing if there was anyone watching. Lucky for you, there was no one unlike last time. With that, you returned home at the fastest you've ever gone. You definitely didn't want either a ghoul or Dove to catch you.

"I bet you that he's going to be in there for tomorrow as well." Homura said out of nowhere. You glanced over at her then towards where Rei had disappeared into his room a couple of minutes ago.

"He will." Michael replied like it was a fact. "That means Aika will have to make all the coffee."

Aika huffed. "It's going to be so much work. You three need to learn how to make other types of coffee."

Homura just shrugged in response. "We're the best at making pastries."

"That's just me and Y/N." Michael retorted. Meanwhile, you kept quiet seeing as how only a couple of ghouls fled and all that was left were the Doves. Looks like the Doves won. For now. There were only a few less Doves now but more ghouls so that was a win. You could already imagine that the campus will be buzzing about what the creatures were. It hadn't even started yet you were already getting a headache.

It was just like you predicted. Whispers of the strange creatures and the weird detective looking people was something you kept hearing all day. Even the weather decided to be cruel and snow a little! It was supposed to be turning spring and here you were hating everything at the moment. At least, you're excited to seeing the boys.

Well, that was your initial thought.

It was the same everywhere! Of course it was mainly Namjoon but then Hoseok and Taehyung were joining in on it. "But why are there even ghouls here?" Hoseok asked.

Namjoon shrugged. "Good question." 

You weren't escaping today. You just accepted your fate as you took out your plastic cup full of water and took some gulps of it. Later when Rei emerges from his room, you're positive that patrols are going to resume. It was just a feeling. 

"Ghouls just eat flesh?" Jungkook scrunched up his nose. You noticed that he was reading the binder full of information that Namjoon made days ago. 

Namjoon nodded. "Yeah. That's how they're designed. It's how they live." 

"T-They eat humans?" Jimin paled at the thought. You frowned to yourself. The negative thoughts were picking up again

"I guess so." Seokjin who was reading over Jungkook's shoulder spoke up. "That's how they survive." 

You didn't feel like talking about so you just kept quiet. Yoongi joined you on that boat so at least it didn't look too awkward. To get your mimd off of the conversation, you glanced around. But it was the same everywhere. People talking about ghouls. You tore your eyes away to glance out of one of the many windows.

Your breath caught in your throat as you spotted someone very familiar. Her eyes locked onto yours briefly and a slight smile formed on her lips. She quickly turned on her heel and walked away at a fast pace.

With sudden movements, you screwed on the cap of your water bottle and hastily threw it in your bag. Now you caught the attention of everyone.

"Y/N?" Jimin politely asked. "Is something wrong?"

"I, um, just need some fresh air. I feel light headed." You stood up and slung your bag on.

"Did you want me to go with you?" Yoongi offered and was ready to stand up when you stopped him.

You shook your head. "No, it's okay. See you later or tomorrow." You replied and rushed out of the cafeteria. Outside, you started your way to where you last saw her. Your eyes scanned the area and didn't find a single trace. There were some people walking and minding their own business. Biting your lip, you went in the direction she went in. You prepared yourself to see Yuki after these couple of years.