5. You Can Call Me Mr. Hardwood

"She is the heaven 
you would go to hell for."

~ mks

The cream dress that Scarlett wore hugged her in the best places and hinted at the most intriguing things, making the businesspeople in the midst of their morning rush stop momentarily to stare at the new face

Even Michael, who had been sent to greet Scarlett at the door, couldn't help but take her in from the styled brown hair that made her look like a Silver Screen starlet, to the signature red lips, right down to the gold embellishments on her cream stilettos.

He marveled at the mastery with which she walked in her high heels as she came to stand in front of him.

"Good morning, Ms. Ambrose," he said, in a low voice, with a smile.

"Michael," Scarlett nodded.

"You look nice," Michael commented, leading her to the elevator at the back.

"Didn't I look nice two days ago, Mike?" Scarlett asked, stepping in.

"You look nice, as always," Michael amended, making Scarlett smile. He swiped his card and tapped the button for the fortieth floor.

"Thank you," she said.

"We should probably become friends," he said, conversationally.

Scarlett looked over at him. "Why?"

"Well, we'll probably be seeing a lot of each other."

Scarlett shook her head, ever so slightly. "Ace really likes his goon, huh?"

"I'm not a goon." Mike leaned against the mirrored wall.

"Whatever you say, goon," Scarlett sighed, jokingly. She wasn't yet sure if she could trust Michael, let alone be his friend.

When the elevator doors opened, the environment Scarlett saw was completely different to the one she had seen two nights before.

Two receptionists sat at the front desk, both engaged in conversations on their respective headphones; people were walking in and hurrying to their workstations. The almost eerie floor that Scarlett had seen before was now action-packed.

People stopped and turned to see the new face, but seeing as Scarlett was accompanied by Michael, no one asked questions. The employees of Woods Towers knew better than to question their boss, or his right-hand man, Michael.

"You'll probably meet a lot of people doing what you're doing," Michael told her, "It's best if you keep those people and the things that they say to yourself."

"What exactly will I be doing?" Scarlett asked.

Michael nodded his head forward. "He'll tell you everything you need to know."