FOURTEEN

"I'll make sure they both stay far away from you," Dex told Sophie as she walked into school the next week.

Sophie hadn't even made an effort to look nice that day. She hadn't brushed her hair, and she'd thrown it up in a messy bun. She wore a sweater, sweatpants, and sandals, and she had dark bags under her eyes from spending the whole weekend staying up watching Hallmark movies and eating junk food.

"Me too!" Biana said.

"Me three," Added Linh.

"And me four," Said Tam, crossing his arms. "A fight like that is pointless,"

Sophie sighed as she sat down in one of the white chairs. "Thanks guys,"

Sophie looked around the room until she spotted both Keefe and Fitz walk through the school doors. They looked like they'd made up, but there seemed to be a little tension between them.

As they walked, both their eyes met with Sophie's and they were probably horrified about how terrible and sick she looked because their face's filled with shock and pity.

They looked like they were about to make their way over, but Tam, Biana, Dex, and Linh all stood in front of Sophie and glared at the two of them, causing them to go to the other side of the room.

A peal of bells sounded off, but Sophie started to nod off until she was completely asleep, slumped over in the chair.

Sophie woke to someone gently shaking her shoulders, and for a moment she forgot where she was.

"Hey," Dex said as he and Biana helped her up. "It's time to go to class,"

Sophie groaned as Dex and Biana wrapped their arms around her and dragged her to her locker. Sophie quickly got her stuff from her locker before Dex wrapped her arm around his shoulders and helped her get to their history class.

Sophie decided to sit in the front of the classroom to stay as far away from Keefe's spot in the back, and Dex sat right beside her, patting her shoulder and giving her encouraging words.

More people filed into class—and one of them was Keefe. He looked at Sophie and Dex's new seats and frowned before heading to his seat in the back.

Soon, the teacher came in and told them to get out a sheet of paper to take notes on the lecture he was about to give.

Dex handed Sophie a piece of paper and a pencil, and Sophie thanked him with a smile and a nod. Her friends were amazing and were always there for her, well...

Most of them were.

Sophie did her best to pay attention to the lecture and to take notes, but her mind filled with sleepy thoughts until she couldn't resist anymore. She laid her head down on her table and fell into a deep sleep.

Sophie dreamt that Fitz and Keefe said sorry to her, but when she refused to forgive them, they got on their knees and begged her to be their friend again.

It was an amusing dream, but it was cut short when a THWACK, THWACK, THWACK, interrupted the moment.

Sophie bolted up to see her history teacher, Mr. Fintan, standing over her desk with a ruler in his hand. Sophie's face immediately turned beat red under his glare.

"Miss Foster," He said with a sneer. "I do not appreciate you sleeping during my lecture." He started walking back to his desk and pulled out a sheet of paper. He scribbled some words on it before saying, "Take yourself to the Principal's office this minute," He held out the paper and Sophie got up and took it.