Chapter 109 - Remus's Return

Wow 30k reads! I never imagined it would get this far so thanks to all of you!! :)

 Al arrived at the Burrow with Harry, Ron and Ginny in mid-afternoon the next day and awkwardly pulled her trunk in behind the others, who were all being fussed over by Mrs Weasley, who had collected them from platform nine and three quarters. She was surprised to find that Mrs Weasley fussed over her just as much. "You're up in Percy's room again, dear," Mrs Weasley said, taking her cloak from her and hanging it up, "And George has said he's coming by with Fred for dinner this evening."

 "Thanks, Mrs Weasley," she said, following Harry and Ron upstairs with Ginny in tow.

 "Mum's taken a liking to you," Ron said cheerily as they reached the second floor.

 Al grabbed her Potions book from her trunk to have a read through while she waited for George to arrive, and headed downstairs where Mrs Weasley was bustling around the kitchen. "Do you need any help?" Al asked from the doorway.

 "Oh, no, you're okay dear," Mrs Weasley said, "I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to fit everyone in...Remus is arriving on Christmas Eve-"

 "Remus is coming?" Al asked excitedly, sliding into a seat at the kitchen table.

 "Yes, and I think I'll put him in Bill and Charlie's room," Mrs Weasley said with a frown, "So if Bill goes in with Fred and George and Fleur goes in with Ginny..." Al got the feeling that no one would be happy with that arrangement.

 "Fleur could go in with me," Al offered, "We did the tournament together, I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

 "Oh, you're an angel, dear," Mrs Weasley said fondly, looking quite relieved. Al turned to her book, also quite relieved. The two of them had been marching to a different tune last year when there was a particular conflict regarding Fred and George's joke shop. Needless to say, she was grateful George's Ma had willingly forgotten that little scuff in the path.

 Al read for another hour or so, joined by Ginny who was reading Quidditch through the ages, when she heard the fireplace flare up twice followed by a chorus of, "We're here!"

 Al jumped up excitedly, her stomach doing back-flips as she ran into the living room, where a cheery, soot-covered George was stood, his hair dishevelled. "Hello, Love," he said, opening his arms out. Al let a squeal and jumped into his arms. He caught her as she wrapped her legs around his torso in a vice-like hug. She giggled and kissed him and didn't even stop when there was a cough from Fred next to them. They had three months to catch up on.

 After what seemed like forever, but still not long enough, they broke apart, grinning like mad people and turned to face the room. Even Harry and Ron's scowling judgemental looks couldn't put a damper on their collective ecstatic moods. Ginny grinned at Al in a similar fashion to Fred, who clapped a hand on George's shoulder. Fleur just looked slightly amused, and rather out of place. Mrs Weasley didn't seem at all fazed, as she rushed forward and hugged her two sons, planting kisses on their cheeks.

 They spent a happy evening decorating the living room and putting the tree up, that finished with a snuggle session with George by the fire while they talked and everyone else did their various bits and bobs. Mrs Weasley was knitting away furiously, Fred was chatting with Ginny, Fleur was reading a book and Harry and Ron were nowhere in sight. It was a peaceful bliss.

*****

 The next few days at the Burrow were a bizarre cross of apprehension and boredom. Al couldn't wait to finally see Remus again, and all her owl-order presents had finally arrived, but at the same time there wasn't that much to do at the Burrow. Christmas with the Dursleys had always been quite a rigid affair. No presents until everyone was dressed and after breakfast. So many pictures it was like a photo shoot. Oh, and let's not forget Harry being treated like dragon dung. Last Christmas had been one of the best, and Al hoped this one would be too.

 Al spent the morning peeling and chopping a mountain of potatoes with Ginny, while Harry and Ron peeled sprouts. It wasn't too bad, but anticipation for Remus's arrival had a hold of her that made her stomach drop. She'd been so worried, she was almost angry. It was seven o'clock by the time she settled down for her usual evening cuddle with George, and suddenly there was a knock at the door. Mr Weasley got up and rushed into the hallway and moments later Remus appeared in the doorway, looking greyer and thinner than ever.

 Al jumped up before anyone else could and ploughed into him, hugging him and not letting go. "I have been so worried!" she exclaimed, thumping his shoulder, but not hard enough to actually hurt him. "You didn't write! You told me you'd write!"

 Remus just smiled down at her, "You are so much like your Aunt."

 Al had never been told this before, and was slightly taken aback. "I-what...L-Lily? Hey! No, you didn't write - you said you would write!"

 "Why don't you take Remus's cloak, Al?" Mr Weasley suggested quietly from his resumed seat by the fire.

 Al looked blankly between Remus and Mr Weasley, before catching on. "Oh, oh yeah. Give me your cloak then," she said impatiently. Remus chuckled and took his cloak off, handing it to Al carefully and following her back out the room. Ron glared at her as they passed but Al just shrugged him off - it was probably him just being moody as usual.

 Al hung Remus's cloak up on a peg and then turned around to face him. "You said you'd write," she said quietly. "It's been five months and I haven't heard a word...I've been worried sick..." her eyes began to well up, but whether it was from relief, anger, or disappointment she didn't know. "I thought something had happened-" tears began pouring down her face, "-I thought you were dead."

 "Come here," Remus said quietly, and Al obliged, letting him envelope her in a hug. She buried her face into his jumper and cried and sobbed, letting everything that she'd bottled up for the last few months wash out into the world. When she'd finished, Remus conjured her a handkerchief to dab at her eyes, smiling faintly. "You silly goose - I didn't know you cared this much." His tone was, as usual, serenely calm and understanding.

 "Of course I do!" Al croaked, "You're...you're the only adult...I-I..."

 "What d'you mean?" he asked, frowning, and placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

 "It doesn't matter," she said quickly, feeling foolish. "Can I get you a drink or anything?"