Chapter 7 - Charlotte

Chapter Seven

Charlotte

"Charlotte, would you mind finishing this up in the Library?" Mrs. Frantruck stood over my desk at the end of the day. She had an amused smile spread across her face when she glanced up at the clock hanging over the chalk board. "I have nothing against you wanting to get a head start on your assignment but I do need to lock up the classroom right away."

Confused, I followed her gaze up to the clock that read 3:50pm. My eyes widened in shock before I looked around at the empty classroom. The bell that indicates the end of the School day had already went off at 3:20pm. I was so absorbed in my Psychology Case Study assignment that I hadn't even heard it.

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Frantruck!" I gasped. "I hadn't even realized what time it was."

She laughed. "Don't worry about it, Charlotte. I know you tend to get a little engrossed in your work, besides I had those quizzes to mark anyways." She smiled kindly. "But if you wouldn't mind, I would like to lock up now."

"Yes, yes!" I jumped out of my desk and hastily began gathering up my books. I tossed them into my already full backpack and flung it over my shoulder. It was so heavy I nearly lost my balance. Pushing my long, wavy hair out of my face I headed toward the door. "See you tomorrow," I called out.

"Have a good evening Miss. Locke."

I headed outside without bothering to stop at my locker. I had everything I needed in my pack back already, and thankfully I didn't have to bring my Saxophone home with me tonight. I just left it in the Music room.

I decided to go to the public Library rather than the School one. Bridgewalk Public Library was kind of like my personal sanctuary. I spent more time there than I did at home, which was understandable, because I didn't like being at home. Although I loved my parents to death, my home wasn't always the coziest of places.

Pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind, I headed down the sidewalk. BPL was only about two miles from the school, so it would take me a half hour, but at least I would be able to stay there longer than the School Library.

Walking down the street, thoughts of this morning came back to me...for like the hundredth time. No matter what I did, the image of Karla's hulk of a cousin breaking George's nose would not leave my mind. It was almost like it was on repeat in my brain.

I have seen my fair share of violence, especially having grown up in my house. I guess that it why I am so sensitive to it. I know how quickly one punch can blow way out proportion. Seeing the terrified looks on Jarrod's and George's faces kind of pulled at my heart strings.

Then there was Christian.

Just the thought of him made my heart leap.

As horrible as it sounds, he looked magnificent forging forward like some kind of avenging angel. Jarrod had nudged George and said, "Dude, why are the Steele cousins heading over here?" I remember looking up, and there he was.

His icy blue eyes were staring straight ahead. His refined, muscular jaw was clenched. Determination and vengeance seemed to wrap around his firm body. And all I could think was how incredibly stunning he was. My breath had been trapped in my lungs and I could not take my eyes away from him. He was terrifying, and yet, glorious. I had felt a pinch of jealousy at that moment because I knew that his reaction was caused by his need to protect his sister.