Chapter 5

Tank removes his hand from your side and you scold the side of your brain that's filled with disappointment. You still know next to nothing about these tall strange soldier-looking protestors and you still didn't have complete trust in them. 

The disappointed side of your brain swiftly shifts to happiness as he runs the tip of a gloved finger over what you know is likely a large bruise on your lower back. Your body tenses at the unexpectedly intimate touch and goosebumps appear across your skin. 

You hope that it's too dark for him to see any evidence of the effect he's having on you, but the light from the flames nearby may betray you. If he notices, he doesn't say anything, too focused on assessing the damage and showing no evidence that he's aware of your inner turmoil. 

You hiss out a breath as he applies a slight pressure to the area and instantly retracts his finger at your pained sound. 

You turn around, "That's quite the tramp stamp you've got there, but it doesn't look like it's going to be anything more than a nasty bruise in the morning," he says. You roll your eyes at his joking manner, but feel reassured nonetheless that the damage wasn't anything serious. 

The densely humid air is becoming more and more smoke-filled and there's only so much a bandana can do to stop it from getting into your lungs. Coughing lightly into your elbow, you turn to Tank, "We should probably get out of here, I didn't see anybody else that was hurt and those fuckers probably arrested everybody else by now," he nods his head in agreement.

You hadn't actually thought about where you were going to go though. Your apartment was about a twenty minute drive from here but for obvious reasons most pick-up services weren't willing to drive down into what's essentially a police-state. 

"You can come stay with us for the night," he says, as if having read your mind. 

It seems like he's giving you an option, but the tone of his voice lets you know it's not up for debate. Besides, who were you to turn down free shelter for the night.

You let out an annoyed huff, only because you don't want to give him the satisfaction of getting his way. A small laugh comes from under the mask.

 "I'm going to assume that you can somehow contact Riot and ask him how the boy's doing," you say, remembering how scared the boy was. You just want to make sure that you hadn't lied to him when you'd told him not to worry. 

Tank nods, "Of course, yeah, i'll call him when we get back, don't worry sweetheart." 

You quickly duck your head in hopes that it will hide the blush you feel erupting across your cheeks at the nickname. You hated the way your body was so quick to give away your reactions. 

Picking up on your attempt to hide something, Tank grips your chin between his thumb and forefinger, drawing your face upwards to look into your own reflection across his helmet. You can practically see how red your cheeks are. 

You dart your eyes around, looking anywhere else besides his mask, "What's wrong sweetheart," he says, putting emphasis on your new nickname. You squirm in his grip but your body refuses to move away. This felt like a very inappropriate time to be having these feelings. 

You can practically see him boyishly smiling under his mask as he realizes the effect he's having on you. 

After what feels like minutes of staring at each other in a tension-filled atmosphere, he suddenly lets go of your chin and moves around you. 

You turn to follow him, thinking he's simply starting to walk in the direction of his home, but you let out a yelp when your feet are lifted off the ground. 

Tank maneuvers your body in a manner similar to how one would handle a rag doll and settles you into his arms bridal style. 

Once again you ignore the way the action causes something inside of you to flutter. 

"Excuse me I can walk, put me down please and thank you," you demand.

"Oh I don't think so sweetheart, last time I let you walk off you got shot, so I'm playing it safe," he says while looking steadfastly ahead, making sure nobody was trying to obstruct our path. 

You sigh, succumbing to the calming effect that his embrace was having on your tired body, and relax into his arms. 

"It's only about a ten minute walk, we should be there soon, go ahead and sleep if you want, I don't mind," Tank says.

Hearing him give you permission was all your body needed to be told, the gentle movements of his walking lulling your eyelids to succumb to the pull of sleep.

--

raise ur hand if u have daddy issues🥰

if you guys haven't already and you're 18 years old, YOU BETTER SIGN UP TO VOTE THIS MF OUT OF OFFICE istg if i have to live four more years of my life listening to this dumb fuck talk about politics im gonna end it all

if you didn't know, states are allowing voters to claim Covid-19 as a reason to get an absentee ballot (which includes both the dates above as well as the official november election), so make sure that you sign up asap to get one in the mail, it's literally so easy to sign up it took me less than five minutes

ily unless u support trump then gtfo😋