Chapter 15

"Hermione," Weasley demanded loudly from in front of Seamus, Dean, Neville, Luna, Harry and the other fourth-year Slytherins, "who are you going to the ball with?"

"I'm not telling you," the girl replied haughtily, "you'll just make fun of me."

"Most likely someone who can stand her 'I'm-better-than-you-because-I-think-I'm-smarter-than-you' attitude," Harry drawled, making his friends laugh.

"Shut up, Potter!" Weasley snarled. "Hermione is smarter than everyone except the teachers and McGonagall!"

"Professor McGonagall," Granger corrected stiffly.

"Oh really?" Harry said sweetly. "Well then, she won't disagree to a little... competition."

"What?" Granger frowned.

"A test," said Harry, smirking. "You and I will take the same test, with the hardest questions possible. If you win... let's see... I'll let you borrow twelve of the books from the Potter vaults, of your choice, although I'm allowed to veto. If you lose, you will... hmm... Am, what do you think?"

"Tell Lavender Brown and Pansy her most hated secret," Tom replied at once, eyes glittering. Granger blanched.

Harry hid a grin. Apparently, Tom was vindictive in his hatred of those who had wronged his boyfriend....

"Deal," Granger said, her voice shaking slightly.

"Not just yet, Granger," Harry said coldly. "I want to make sure you don't cheat on the test."

"Cheat!" Weasley roared.

"We will both swear right now, by our magic, that we will not use any means to cheat -- that means that neither of us will stop the other's progress or do anything to have the correct answer by any means other than our knowledge," Harry ordered. "Agreed?"

"Agreed," Granger said.

"You'll lose, Potter!" Weasley growled.

Harry smiled. "Will I?" The look on his face caused Weasley to hesitate and Granger to scoff.

"Who will write the test?" Granger asked.

"The headmistress," Harry responded. Granger may not like the woman, because of her sexuality, but she trusted her.

The two reluctantly agreed, showing their disgust.

The vow was spoken and they parted.

"She's an idiot," Draco declared. "You've gotten higher marks on everything, including extra credit."

"Yet she still thinks she's more intelligent than I am, because she assumes I've been cheating," Harry sneered. Tom put a calming hand on his shoulder, and Harry relaxed. "This way, it will show the idiot that she is not the smartest person -- and that irritating red-head."

---------------

The theme of "it's a complete secret, therefore, the whole school knows" continued, as Hogwarts was suddenly buzzing with Harry's challenge instead of the Yule Ball. The date of the test had been set by a reluctant but amused headmistress on the day of December 20th, right after lunch. They would have four hours to complete the test, which was written on enchanted paper -- it would grade itself the minute the finished answering the final question. The two tests would then be reviewed by McGonagall and her mysterious wife. (Harry had a hunch who it was, given the two women's closeness, but he wasn't 100% sure.)

Before the test began, Harry and Tom had their first study date -- well, it was supposed to be a study date, but it ended up being mostly snogging.