25

This was potentially the most stupid idea that Eloise had ever had

This was potentially the most stupid idea that Eloise had ever had. I guess you could hardly call it an idea at this stage, because she had mostly followed through with it. Okay, fine. It was potentially the most stupid thing she had ever done.

Eloise was currently standing in the small home that belonged to Charlie's friend Danielle. In Romania.

It was freezing there, and Eloise was glad she'd worn layers, because even though she'd been standing in front of the fire for twenty minutes, she'd yet to warm up enough to shed her thick woolen coat.

She rubbed her hands together as she listened to Danielle yammer on about the living situation. Apparently, some of the workers at the sanctuary chose to embrace communal living, and there were several small houses like this one that were the residences of several people at once. Three girls lived here, even though only Danielle was home at the moment, since one was in the infirmary with the flu and the other was out in the sanctuary at work somewhere. Some of the more senior workers, including most of the Dragonologists like Charlie, chose to have their own homes. Several of these small houses, or rather tiny cottages, were spread out across the reservation. Eloise was actually about to head out to Charlie's house now.

She had found out a few days ago that Charlie wasn't going to make it home for his birthday, but never in her wildest dreams did she think that she would go out to Romania to celebrate it with him. That is, until she'd received a long winded letter from Danielle lamenting just how sad Charlie had been since he'd realized he wouldn't be home in time to spend the day with Eloise.

She knew that most of that was probably exaggerated, and that he really just missed his family. But something about the recent events that had transpired influenced her to follow a whim and surprise him for his birthday.

He'd all but admitted to the walk on the beach meaning something more. Eloise had thought about that night a lot since it had happened. She relived the memory of that conversation several times a day, actually. She'd also ranted about it extensively to Kiera, as well as in a long overdue letter to her friend Bekah.

Eloise was conflicted. She'd never been this aware of her own feelings, and certainly she'd never been aware of someone possibly returning them. And here she was, nearly certain that he maybe possibly felt the same way. At least a little bit.

It had taken hours of back and forth between her and Kiera before her friend was able to convince her that this might be the case. And this was, of course, after the weeks and months Kiera had spent teasing and prying and talking about the couple. She was finally convinced that the gentle touches, the sweet words, and the constant affection might mean something more.

And it was making her reckless.

She was in Romania, for Merlin's sake. When she got the letter from Danielle, she'd written back immediately, and first thing the following morning she had acquired an international portkey and packed a bag. Now there she was, on the 12th of December, about to go and surprise her best friend for his birthday.