Chapter 4

Riker's P.O.V

Ryla is really cute... and I mean that in the little sister way. We started watching a movie and she was about to sit on the floor, I pulled her up on my lap. She looked like she was scared. I really want to tell her she can trust me but I don't want to rush into anything and overwhelm her.. Mom said that people who are adopted tend to be really skittish. As the movie played on she cuddled into me which I thought was adorable. It wasn't until I felt her breathing even out did I know that he had fallen asleep. Mom awed slightly after noticing that Ryla had cuddled into me and fallen asleep, she took a picture and posted it on Instagram with the caption:

'Look at these adorable babies 😍 My oldest and youngest 💝' 

Everyone's phones chimed and we all hurried to shut them off before they woke Ryla up. Once the movie was over everyone went to there own beds. Except mom, she told me to turn and lay on the couch. I moved into a laying position and position Ryla on top of me. 

Mom set a blanket over top of us and kissed both of our heads, she whispered goodnight to me and walked up to her room. I looked at my new little sis and smiled. I fell asleep quite fast.

Ryla's P.O.V

The next morning I woke up on Riker. Oh no, I tried to get off without waking him up, but ended up falling off the couch and hitting my head on the coffee table. 

Who puts a coffee table in the living room? Oh yeah everybody, duh. I sat up rubbing my head. 

Yeah, that's gonna leave a mark... annddd the headache is already starting. I looked up at Riker and saw him move slightly. He blinked his eyes slowly before opening them fully. He glanced around hazily before jolting up and looking around once again. I saw him viably relax when his eyes landed on me.

 "Ryla, what happened?" he asked, sounding like he cared, I bet it's all a part of his plan. I started slowly crawling backwards. I was quick to get to my feet and I hurriedly ran up the stairs and into my room. I tilted the computer chair against the door knob so the door couldn't be opened, since the door was lacking a lock. I remained in my new room all day, throughout the day there were various knocks on the door and many different voices. A pile of food was forming beside my door, people would offer food and leave it outside the door after not getting a response- I'm not really hungry though.

The one thing I could barely ignore now was my head. I had a killer headache and it was horrible. After locking myself in my room all day I finally got the chance to look around the room. Everything seemed normal enough until I noticed, huh, two closets...

I opened the first one, slowly stepping in to the confined area. I narrowed my eyes as I studied the walls. The two side walls looked like dry wall... but the back one didn't. After getting a closer look, I noticed that it was merely a thin sheet of wood held in by staples. I removed all the staples and carefully removed the piece of wood.

Hey, this is Ross and Ryland's room. Wow, our closets are attached. Cool. I looked around the room quickly. 

On Ross' side there was posters of Ross, Riker, Rocky, Rydel and this other boy and a couple trophies. Ryland's side was more on the bland side, such as my own room. 

I closed their closet door quickly but silently when I heard voices on the other side of the main door connected to the hallway. I put the wood back in place after returning to my side of the closet. I then crossed to the other side of my room and opened the second closet. Much like the first closet the back and sides didn't match. I repeated my actions pulling off the shallow piece of wood and found myself in Rocky and Riker's closet.Unlike Ross and Ryland, Rocky and Riker's closet door was closed, so I gently creaked the door open. I viewed the room from my spot in the closet, not bothering to actually enter the room. 

I didn't have to to react when Riker pulled the main door open and stopped in his place, when he noticed me stood in his closet. I shut the door quickly with wide eyes. I held the wood piece in place, praying that Riker wouldn't notice it not being perfectly still. Seconds later, after I had got the board standing by itself, there was a knock on my bedroom door. 

"Ryla, open this door!" Riker said. I nodded, knowing he couldn't see me and opened the door. I owed him that much, especially after he caught me in his closet.  

"That was amazing, Ryla, how did you just vanish from my closet into your room?" he asked amazed. I shrugged slowly, confused as to why he wasn't mad at me. He pulled me into a hug causing my body to stiffen. 

"I brought you some Advil, when you smashed your head this morning it looked like it really hurt." He told me as he released his grip on me and made his way into the room. "I also brought you this Gatorade," he half-smiled, placing some pills and a bottle of blue liquid on my nightstand. We stood in awkward silence for a second before Riker decided to speak up. 

"C-can I see how bad your head is?" His tone was nervous. I thought for a second, it couldn't hurt... at least, I hope not... Plus, what choice do I have? I nodded slowly and Riker smiled. He had me sit down in the computer chair, then he started moving my hair around on my head, it felt weird. He lightly pressed down on a certain spot near my hairline, which hurt a lot. I yelped, making him jump backwards. 

"Oh sorry, and it's just bruised," he smiled slightly. He moved away from the chair and I turned it to face him. 

"I'm going to go get you an ice pack," he told me, making his way towards the door, "you lay down," he added as a second thought. Okay, maybe he does care, I'll trust him for now. I laid down and Riker returned with the Ice pack. He set it on my head gently and left the room explaining how he was going to see what everyone else as up too. Once the door shut I sat up slightly and took the two pills into my hand. I swallowed them with the help of the Gatorade. It was quite easy falling asleep without the painful throbbing in the back of my head.

Stormie's P.O.V

"Has Ryla said anything to you guys?" I asked all my children, except Riker. They all shook their heads, muttering no's. This made me sigh. 

"I think she hates us." Ross frowned, slouching down in his chair. The kids all looked at me like sad puppies and I frowned.  

"Ryla is asleep, now what we talkin' 'bout?" Riker asked bouncing on the couch. He just about landed on Ryland, who playfully punched his arm.

"Has Ryla spoken to you?" I asked turning my attention to my oldest. 

"No... but she yelped," he tilted his head to the side, "why?"

I was about to respond when a thought popped into my head. The paper! How could I forget? There has to be something about this on it. 

"Rydel can you go get my purse?" I questioned. She nodded and returned a few seconds later with my purse. It took a second to find the paper, but when I pulled it out I scanned the words quickly.  

"Mom, what's that?" Ryland asked. I didn't answer right away as I scanned the sheet. My eyes landed and four darkly bolded words. Once sentence that made everything make sense. 

Doesn't speak at all. 

"She doesn't hate us, she just doesn't speak," I said finally, I really should've looked this over before this point. The kids all looked at me relieved, they were happy that she didn't actually hate us, at least as far as we know. We spoke a little more before everyone went off to do their own thing. Thank goodness she doesn't hate us.