100

Everyone at the table stared at each other. It was agonizingly uncomfortable.

"I need a shot. Does anybody else need a shot?" Haechan awkwardly got up and walked over to the main part of the kitchen.

"Haechan, it's 9:20. Nobody needs a sho-" Taeyong began.

"I would like a shot," I announced, hand suddenly raised above my head.

"Thatta girl. Glad to see this place didn't snuff out your party girl spirit. Jeno, where do you keep the booze in this place?"

Haechan began opening the cabinet drawers as he continued his search for anything that would make the situation less uncomfortable than it was.

"There's a bottle of cooking merlot in the upper left-hand cabinet above the main oven," Jeno offered.

Haechan opened the cabinate and pulled the bottle out.

"It's not quite what I was hoping for, but I supposed it'll do the trick."

Haechan hurried to open the bottle, almost knocking it over in the process. One the corked was freed from its enclosure, Haechan swiftly wrapped his lips around the bottle's opening and started chugging. He held the bottle in its now tilted position for a solid ten solid seconds before lowering it back onto the counter.

"That should do it," He muttered, out of breath before grabbing the bottle by its neck and bringing it over to the table. As he handed me the bottle, I couldn't help but notice that a measurable amount of the red liquid had disappeared from the bottle, not that it mattered. There was still more than enough wine left to get me through the next few hours.

I began to chug the liquid in the same manner that Haechan had, unaware of the impressed and/or concerned faces that surrounded me.

The bottle couldn't have been more than halfway full by the time I set it down. I wiped my mouth with the sleeve of my shirt, unbothered by the risk of possibly staining it.

"You," I panted, pointing to Donghyuck,

"Tell me what the fuck is going on."

Donghyuck, or I guess Haechan, did his best to fill me in on... well everything.

The 127 member that Mark had told me about, was actually Donghyuck all along. He was working undercover as my apartment's doorman, in order to get information on a former member of NCT member named Hansol, hence why he went by Donghyuck instead of his real name. Hansol had disappeared without a trace several years ago and 127 had been trying to find him ever since. One of NCT's sources claimed that they had sighted Hansol entering my apartment complex with one of the building's residents, a gang leader who usually went under the alias, Feeldog but was registered with the building as Kwang-suk. Apparently, it was rumored that Hansol left NCT to join Feeldog's gang, UNB, a rumor that Yuta apparently took great issue with.

"There's no way. He wouldn't do that. Not without telling someone at least," He maintained.

Haechan and Taeyong glanced at each other.

"What?!" Yuta snapped.

Taeyong sighed.

"It's just that you and Hansol were so close, it makes sense that you would have feelings of betrayal surrounding his disappearance."

"So what? You think I'm blinded by our friendship or some shit? That I can't think clearly? Hansol disappeared and we failed him by not finding him. Who knows what could UNB could have done to him? He could be dead for all we know!"

Yuta was so riled up that he had to excuse himself from the table. Him and Doyoung, who had remained silent this entire time, left with him.

"He gets like this anytime someone brings him up," Mark sighed.

"There hadn't been any sightings of Hansol since or even before the one at your building. That's why when we got the tip, we decided to send someone to go undercover," Taeyong revealed before Haechan chimed in.

"Jaehyun obviously couldn't send any of the members on an undercover mission since Hansol would have immediately recognized them. Mark and I were the only two members who hadn't joined 127 until after Hansol disappeared so it had to be one of us. Since Mark was being trained to eventually take over NCT Dream, the Canadian unit, I was the obvious candidate. After that, we needed to figure out how I was going to be able to constantly surveil the building without being suspicious."

"As a doorman?" I interjected.

"Exactly! It isn't abnormal for a doorman to take an interest in their building's residents. They see everyone who comes in or out of the building. They know everyone's names and everyone's business. They're always there so you never think twice when you see them around the building."

I let out a scoff which prompted Haechan to furrow his brows.

"What?" He asked.

"So, all this time, you were just pretending to be my friend so that you could blend in?"

My accusation was immediately purged of all seriousness when a snort escaped from Haechan as he began to cackle.

"Pretend to be friends with you?! To blend in?! Y/N, I did everything in my power to avoid you!"

Now it was my turn to furrow my brows.

"The first twenty times you saw me you were either hungover or drunk. Either way, you found a way to make a scene, calling me Dongfuck, asking me why I was so serious and telling me to loosen up a bit. I was so worried that you would blow my cover that when I saw Feeldog coming down the halls, I agreed to go drinking with you just to get you to leave before he got close."

I could feel my cheeks start to burn up. Taeyong started to chuckle only attempting to recompose himself after noticing my glare. I remembered what he was talking about. After what happened with Lucas, I found the heartbreakers and was able to make enough money to afford rent in a bougie apartment building but to say that I was in a better place would have been far from the truth. I was an absolute a mess. The only time I was sober was when I had just woken up and sometimes not even then.

"I knew if I stood you up that you'd only make an even bigger ruckus the next time you saw me, so I decided to just say 'fuck it' and go party with you. I didn't expect to have as much fun as I did."

I looked up at Haechan and was surprised to see nothing but sincerity in his eyes.

"Okay, but what about you and Mark?" Is he the guy you had told me about?"

All traces of peacefulness had disappeared from Haechan's eyes which looked as though they were about to pop out of their sockets. I felt an elbow dig into my side though when I turned to scold its owner, I saw that Mark was shaking his head at me with a look so serious and grave that I could barely believe it had actually come from Mark, himself.

I shot a look back at Taeyong who seemed more confused than anything, before taking notice of Jeno and Jaemin who both sent each other a casual smirk. I had totally forgotten that they were arguing about the secrecy of their relationship before I unintentionally intervened.

"I just meant... the guy you told me about, the one who loved watermelon more than anything? That was Mark, right?"

Both Haechan and I looked at Taeyong who was chuckling under his breath.

"He really does love watermelon, doesn't he?" He laughed.

Haechan's eyes returned to their usual state after realizing that Taeyong was still as clueless as ever.

Once I had been caught up on everything, Taeyong excused himself, allowing the table's remaining occupants to discuss more personal matters.

"Yes, Mark is the boyfriend I told you about. The one who can't even man up and tell his coworkers that he's bi and has a boyfriend."

"Wait, what?" Mark quirked, having returned to his default state of confusion.

"Oh, forget it," Haechan sighed.