Chapter Twenty-Nine - Angelica's Disaster

•DEMETRIO•

Another month had passed away. Leila was in her sixth month of pregnancy and I could believe that three months were left to see Mia.

I wondered what would Leila put as Mia's last name. Of course, it wouldn't be Rossi. It was either going to be Romano or...Gonzalez.

Would she really put Gonzalez?

I shrugged the thought off, trying not to be too excited. It's not that I prefer Gonzalez over Romano, but at least, Mia wouldn't have those bastards of parents' last name.

I didn't even know if Leila even thought about putting Gonzalez as Mia's last name, and even if she did, she wouldn't tell me because she's shy and probably thought we'd say no.

I paced in my room with Cindy in my arms, thinking hard about everything.

"What do you think, Cin?" I said, looking down at her glaring face.

"Fine, you don't have to tell me twice," I said, rolling my eyes.

Just then, a knock on the door made me turn around as it opened, revealing Leila.

"I see you're talking to her again," she said in a teasing tone.

I put Cindy down and scratched the back of my neck. "Yeah..."

"What were you saying?" she asked as she sat on my bed, crossing her legs. I looked down at her toned legs and licked my bottom lip.

"My eyes are up here, Rio."

"If you keep saying my name like that, you would certainly not like the outcome."

"I think I would certainly like it," she replied, smiling.

She's killing me.

"So?"

"We were talking about Mia..." I started nervously.

"Mhmm, and what were you saying?" she asked, picking up Cindy, who definitely liked being held by Leila.

Who wouldn't?

"By the way, you look gorgeous," I said, changing the subject, hoping she would forget.

She smiled and walked to me. "Don't change the subject, Demetrio."

Damn it!

"Why do you want to know?" I asked.

"Because it involves my baby."

"Fine...I was thinking about what Mia's last name would be and thought...thought about whether you wanted to put her last name as Romano or Gonzalez..."

Fuck.

She was going to be scared right now, I was sure of it.

She looked at me as if I had grown two heads. I didn't know what was going through her head and I didn't want to know. I was too afraid to even further the conversation.

"G-Gonzalez?" she stuttered, furrowing her eyebrows as she looked somewhere behind me, lost in the moment.

"I mean...it was just a thought, of course. You can name her whatever you want," I nervously said. "I just figured you didn't want to put Romano as her last name..."

She was about to respond when I cut her off. "Let's just forget about it, I am sorry if I said something wrong..."

"Rio," she said as she looked right into my eyes. She smiled, confusing me. "You didn't say anything wrong."

"I didn't?" I grinned.

"No, you didn't. It's just...I don't think Lorenzo would like that."

"How does this have anything to do with my dad?" I asked.

She looked at me like I was crazy before saying, "It's his family name."

"And it's mine too," I replied. "Besides, you and I are together."

"Yeah, but...we're not--"

"Married?" I completed her sentence.

"Yeah."

"So what? Besides, don't know what might happen until Mia is born."

* * *

It was 10 PM when my mother called us down. She said that Callie and Mateo Martinez were there, waiting for us. Adam and Dalilah were there too. My mother told me that they had something important to tell us.

When we walked into the living room, Callie was crying. Mateo had a hard look on his face and Adam was lost in thought.

Anyone from far away could feel that something bad had happened.

"What's going on?" I asked, cutting the tension in the living room.

My dad motioned for us to sit before he said anything. Leila and I sat beside him, across from my mother, Dalilah, and Adam. Callie and Mateo were to our right.

Callie was still crying, hot tears ran down her face. I didn't know what was happening but I had a feeling it had something to do with Angelica.

"Angelica is pregnant."

It was what my father said that made Callie cry harder. But it was what made us all look at him with wide eyes, too shocked by the news.

"Okay...why is it bad news?" I asked, grabbing everyone's attention, including Callie.

I didn't understand why it was bad news. If Angelica wanted kids, it was her right to have kids.

"We are not sad that she was pregnant. We are sad that she got pregnant by Giovanni," Mateo said.

"What?!" Leila exclaimed, standing up. "That's...that's sick!"

"It's your fault!" Adam yelled, pointing his finger at her. He was fuming and angry tears were threatened to fall.

"How is that my fault?" Leila asked.

"Since the day you got here, you have been creating problems!"

"It's not my fault that your sister is crazy and incredibly jealous! She did this to herself and might I add, willingly!" Leila yelled back.

"She became jealous because of you!" Adam yelled back, and droplets of tears fell onto his cheeks.

"Where is she now?" Leila asked, ignoring him and directing her question at Callie and Mateo.

"She...she left. She left a letter saying that she was going to stay with him," Callie replied.

"He's going to kill her..." Leila whispered to herself, but everyone heard her.

"How do you know that?" Mateo asked.

Leila looked at him nervously. I didn't know what was going through her head, but I knew it wasn't something good.

"Because he's sick! If he treated her like how he did with me, she'll fucking die! Especially when he knows she's your daughter!" Leila clapped back. "We need to save her," she added, shocking me.

Did she want to save Angelica? The one who willingly handed her to Giovanni?

"What did he do to you?" Callie whispered as she looked sympathetically at Leila.

It wasn't the right time but I couldn't shrug off the thought of putting Callie and Leila beside each other and seeing the resemblance. They looked so much alike and it would be impossible for anyone not to think of them as mother and daughter.

My mom, dad, and I looked at each other as if thinking about the same thing, but we didn't dare to say it out loud, at least not yet.

"It doesn't matter what he did to me. What matters is that we need to save your daughter or she'll be dead. Either she...or the baby," Leila said, placing her hands on her belly protectively.

Mateo shook his head and said, "she made it clear she didn't want to come back. She went there willingly, betraying us."

"Mateo..." Callie whimpered.

"She's dead to me."

* * *