78.

New Ruler

EARLY in the morning, three days after Yan Gen visited the palace, a news came into them like a surging storm. Zhu Deming claimed the dragon throne. He wasn't kidding when he confidently said that his fifth borther will be too late.

      There's a possibility that Zhu Deming might have pushed the Emperor to his death by poisoning his foods or drinks, making the old man die in advance or it can also be a natural death because of his old age and bad health. For Yan Gen, the former is more believable. Why else did the Emperor died at such a perfect timing? There was no one to obstruct his path when Zhu Hai is far away from the capital while Zhu Mingli is yet to reach the capital from the Southern Country. He'll probably arrive in Five days at most, with his fastest horse and barely making a stop in the road.

      Witch each passing day after Zhu Deming became the new ruler, it made him uneasy. He can't even take a proper sleep and meal, it cause his health to detoriate. He has become thinner and paler.

       Now that Zhu Mingli is coming home, the situation will get worst as he might has an ambition of becoming the emperor and the ministers who are secretly siding with him is just waiting for him to snatch the throne. Yan Gen doesn't want that, he doesn't want that to happen. The events are already unpredictable. It was different when it was just the two of them, but now they have a child! Surely, Zhu Mingli has to take this into consideration in securing his family. Yan Gen wants to stay out of this bloody frightings between Imperial family members just for the sake of becoming the Emperor with absolute authority.

       But how much does Zhu Mingli love him to concede with what he wants? Is it enough for him to give up his ambition and dreams? Yan Gen isn't sure. Nevertheless, he'll do everything in his power for him to agree, if he needs to resort with honey trap then he will willingly do it.

      “Take Xiao Jin inside first” He said after waiting outside of the wangfu's gate for ten minutes. It isn't good for babies to be outside for too long, especially now that Winter is approaching them. He doesn't want him to get sick, it's not like Zhu Mingli can't see him later.

      They're waiting outside to welcome Zhu Mingli from the war. Yan Gen was actually quite startled when one of their stable men who sometimes delivered messages for them reported that Zhu Mingli is on his way home. The head maid was so excited she already picked Yan Gen from lazying out in his room and quickly dressed him up with the most beautiful clothes she could find in his wardrobe, his maids did his makeup in the most elegant look they could muster, and arranged his silky hair in a most fashionable way.

       Afterwards, they dragged him outside to wait for the prince's homecoming. Of course, they also placed Jinhai in his arms.

       Later, Yan Gen decided to send him back inside the house, lest he became sick staying outside for too long. They should have asked the messenger where did he last saw Zhu Mingli so they wouldn't be waiting here too early or too late.

       His maids are too excited about his return they forget to ask something like that, it's like the fifth prince is their husband. If Yan Gen knew any better, these maids wanted to be favored by him too, a chamber maid is also fine but clearly, his highness only has eyes for their wangfei.

      A few minutes later, Yan Gen turned around ready to go inside and warm himself. “Perhaps we should wait inside and go back out when his highness is already near the wangfu”

       “Wangfei, we must be patient. What if we didn't go out in time and his highness didn't see you?” Meigui said, even grabbing his arm to stop him from taking another step inside, he sighed “We can place a messenger at the street where he's going to pass by, he can then rely the message to us when his highness is near”

       “But we might not catch up in going outside with how fast his highness ride his horse” she argued, Yan Gen massaged the bridge of his nose and was about to retort, however seeing the rest of the servants staring at him with a disapproving look, especially Zhu Mingli's servants who are crowding the wangfu, he immediately shut up and returned to his post.

      “It's not like he's not going to see me after he entered the wangfu” he mumbled under his breath.

      They look like they're ready to kick him back outside if he persisted going inside. And what can he do about it? Yan Gen only has a few loyal servants with him at the wangfu yet this few people are also siding with Zhu Mingli. Perhaps it was because they knew their mistress is completely relying on the fifth prince after her clan's downfall.

       Ah... these servants of mine who knew no loyalty.

      He exhaled a large amount of breath, a business idea forming in his mind. He'll become wealthy on his own! He swore to himself.

       “Wangfei, look!” The head maid pointed at the dark figure from far away, riding a black horse and dashing his way to them. “It's his highness!”

       There was no one following him behind which made Yan Gen curious and a little worried. There should be atleast a few people escorting him back, why is he all alone? At this time around, no one knew what will happen to them.

        With how fast Zhu Mingli rides his horse, he already arrived in front of them. Zhu Mingli halted his horse just ten steps away from them, all of the servants in the wangfu paid respect to him, lowering themselves on the ground.

      He's covered in dust and blood all over, and his armor glinted dangerously under the sun. There was also a hint of fatigue in his eyes but it quickly disappeared when his sight fell on his wife's petite figure.

       It was then that Yan Gen understood, he rushed over here without rest, probably only stopping to eat his meal for a few minutes and then change the travel worn horse in order not to delay the speed he's riding. Obviously, his guards couldn't keep up with him.

       Yan Gen was rooted to the spot, not knowing what to do, just dumbly staring at him. Should he run to him like he has been yearning for him the whole time he's gone? Or should he cry to show how worried he was while he was on the battlefield, greatly relieved after seeing him well.

      Either way, Yan Gen doesn't know. He feels like keeping appearance is the proper way to greet him.

       While he was deep in thought, Zhu Mingli arrived in front of him with long strides. He raised his arms and was about to envelop his dearest wife in a tight hug but Yan Gen quickly took a step back which earned a frown from him.

     Seeing his displeased face, Yan Gen immediately plastered a smile on his face, give him a ceremonious bow and said with the sweetest voice he can muster “Welcome back your highness” with his head bowed he peered at Zhu Mingli through his thick eye lashes and saw him still frowning.

      He straighen his posture, staring pointedly at his outfit, hoping that the man before him will get what he meant. He can't just frankly tell him that he's covered with blood and dirt so he shouldn't hug the freshly bathed him.

      It doesn't look like Zhu Mingli was appeased with his action.

      Hesitantly, Yan Gen raised his hand a bit, before boldly reaching for the man's callused filled hand, pulling him inside the wangfu.

       “You should rest. It must be hard on you to travel alone”

I'll probably update the next chapter later.

Votes and Comments are highly appreciated.

©Editer