53

Calix neared the edge of the pack boundaries with Logan by his side. He was grateful that, despite being a warrior, Chelsea was willing to stay behind to keep an eye on his pregnant mate. Even though Kegan was upset with him, Calix was going to do whatever it took to protect his mate and unborn children.

They neared the edge of the boundary where several wolves stood, growling at a figure just outside their boarder. The sun was setting, illuminating the cloaked figure before them, making Calix snarl at the evil appearance.

"Son," Jonas said, loping over to Kegan. "She hasn't attacked us but she claims to be a with band says we're in danger."

Calix growled at the figure, approaching her without responding to any of his pack mates asking questions. He shifted back human, glaring at the woman when she threw a cloak at him.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not a shifter, so I'm a bit uncomfortable talking to people when they're naked," she said in slight disgust.

Calix put the cloak on, but he wasn't convinced or pleased by the woman. "You're trespassing. Why should I respect anything you have to say?" he asked, looking at his still shifted pack mates.

"I haven't crossed into your pack grounds, Alpha Calix," she said coolly, holding out her hand to him. "I'm Hallie. I know your mate, Luna Kegan."

Calix vaguely remembered Kegan telling him about the witch who saved his life. He took her hand hesitantly, not entirely sure why she was there. "What business do you have here? What danger is among us?" he asked stiffly.

"The combined Red Claw and North River packs have banded together. There will be a war."

"Over Kegan?"

"It's not so much over him, but over the disrespect that they feel as though they've been faced with. They feel that your pack is too strong, and if they can defeat you, they will be the defining pack in this country."

Calix felt his heart drop, before he pushed the unease away. "How do you know all of this? Are you a spy?" he asked angrily, grabbing her arm fiercely.

Hallie grabbed a bottle of clear liquid from her pocket and splashed it on Calix's face.

He yelped and grabbed his eyes, the liquid burning them and making his vision blurry. The pack all snarled, ready to attack and defend their Alpha.

Calix opened his blurry, puffy eyes, tears dripping down his face. "What did you throw at me, witch?! What have you done?!" he yelled, mind linking his pack to tell them to be ready to attack.

Hallie laughed softly. "It's vodka," she said, handing him the empty bottle so he could smell it. "I didn't do anything except burn your eyes a bit. You'll live, Alpha. I promise."

Calix mind linked his pack, telling them to stand down. "Why should we listen to anything you have to say?"

"I'm a friend and an ally. I'm not a magical being; I know how to make potions and I have a good intuition, and I live in the outskirts of the North River pack, so I overhear things," she explained, not fazed by the growling from the pack.

"I think she's safe to trust, Alpha," Tan said from the group of wolves, not growling and instead sitting calmly beside Luke. "Kegan trusts her."

"How would you know?" Calix demanded, growling at his pack mate and feeling even more agitated when Luke snarled back. "I'll still kick you out of my pack, Luke!"

Luke stopped snarling. "My apologies, Alpha. But I think Tan is right. If there is a war coming, we should give her a chance."

Calix sighed, turning back to Hallie. "Follow me. You are not to leave my sight," he growled, and Hallie nodded, following Calix as he shifted to head back to the pack.