:::::Chapter 22:::::

I walk towards his desk and place my hands on it. Looking in his cold blue eyes, I say, "I know my presence annoys the hell out of you. So, I'm ready to return to my pack right now if you truthfully tell me the reason why you're denying me." For a few minutes, he continues to look at me while I patiently wait for his answer.

He opens his mouth and speaks, "Chriselda, I already told you the reason why I'm denying you. Don't you remember what I said to you when you first came here to know why I didn't acknowledge you as my mate?"

I perfectly remember his words but still I say, "No. Would you help me to refresh my memory?" By the look on his face, I can tell that he knows that I'm doing this on purpose.

He exhales deeply, probably because he's tired by my behavior. "Chriselda, I'm going to tell you the same thing that I told you that day. The reason why I'm denying you is because I don't want a mate. Why are you finding these simple words hard to process in your head?" He remarks.

"Alarick," I say, "Thank you for helping me to process the fact that you don't want a mate. Now, I want to know why you don't want a mate."

He stands up, puts his hands on the desk and leans in so that our faces are inches apart now. "Asking me why I don't want a mate is like asking me why I don't smile. I don't smile because I just don't smile! Simple. I don't want a mate because I just don't want a mate!" His voice becomes suddenly loud at the end which makes me flinch.

"You know," I start to say, "There's always a reason behind everything."

He is quick to reply, "Not this time." I look at him for a few seconds, trying to catch any movements on his face which would indicate that he's lying. When I find no such movements, I turn around and head towards the door. Just as I'm about to open the door, I hear Alarick say, "I hope you're going to your room to pack your things."

"Yes, you are right," I reply without facing him. I can feel tears brimming my eyes. My eyesight is blurring. If I turn around now then I'm going to cry and I don't want to cry in front of my so-called mate who is so eager to see me returning to my pack.

"Chriselda, I'm so glad that we had this conversation. And I truly regret of not having this conversation earlier. If we would've had this conversation a few days back then you would've returned to your pack early."

"I know," I whisper. I'm finding it so hard to speak. I'm afraid that if I speak then my voice will come out shaky and I don't want that to happen.

"It was nice meeting you," he says.

A shaky laugh escapes my mouth. I can't help but shake my head at his words. "I know how nice you felt by meeting me," I remark.

"Goodbye, Chriselda. I hope we never meet again," he concludes.

I nod as I say, "I hope the same." I open the door and slam it hard behind me. I find Charles and Daniel standing. By their faces I can tell that they heard everything.

Charles quickly comes to me and asks, "You weren't serious, right? You're not leaving now, are you?"

"Charles, what difference does it make, leaving now or two days later?" I ask.

He puts his hands on my shoulders and says, "Alarick will be miserable without you."

I can't help but laugh. "Yeah, right," I say. "I should go to my room now to pack my things."

"I'm going to call Mr. West," he announces and heads towards the front door. He thinks that Alarick's father would be able to stop me from leaving since he was the one to bring me here.

"Charles, don't," I request him. My words halt him in his tracks. "If Mr. West comes here then he will convince me to stay here longer and I don't want that. I want to return to my pack. My pack needs me."