Love at First Letter - 8

Merry Belated Christmas to anyone who celebrates it, I hope you had a great day filled with family and friends. And in case I don't update before then I want to wish you all a happy and safe New Year!

Love at First Letter 

Chapter Eight

It's been two weeks since I packed up and left to be with my family. Hanna was still comatose and aunt Jenette was still grieving over the loss of her baby, she often curled up in her bed and refused to move, refused to eat, and refused to do anything. I knew it wasn't good for her son to see her like this but no matter what I said she wouldn't move, she wouldn't even acknowledge my presence.

It was troubling, watching my aunt rot away in her bedroom, all the while we still haven't heard anything about Uncle Tate or Brett and how they were doing. The lack of news didn't sit well with me. My agent had tried countless times to get a hold of me, telling me I needed to get back to writing but how was I supposed to do this when hell was breaking loose.

I haven't been able to focus on anything, much less writing a book that's due in a matter of months. And I knew that I could only stay here a max of one more week, then I would have to get back to writing whether I wanted to or not. They weren't giving me much more lienancy, it didn't matter how much my family needed me. And I understood, this was their job as well as mine and as long as I continued to be at a stalemate, they weren't getting their money.

Trevor was now failing to coax his mother out of her room. He had brought her up her favorite soup and tried to get her to eat, but she wouldn't do it. She would simply shook her head and burrowed her face into the pillows, bringing the blanket up around her neck. Aunt Jenette was looking skinny, her face was pale and her eyes held no light in them that they usually do. Her hands were glued to her stomach and I knew that this must be hard for her, but I also knew that she needed to get her act together and be there for her other two children.

I motioned with my head for Trevor to leave the room, and he did with a sad smile. "Aunt Jenette," I said to her and I watched as her eyes moved towards mine. "Come on, you need to get up and you need to get it together." Her face stayed the same, her eyes simply staring blankly into mine. "I know what is happening right now is awful and you're never going to get over it, but you need to push it aside right now and take care of your children. You need to be there for Trevor and even Hanna, she needs you right now. She needs you to be strong for her and she wouldn't like what is happening right now. Can you imagine her reaction when she wakes up and sees you like this, she would not be happy." Still there was no change in her face.

"Come on Aunt Jenette, I can't do this by myself. I'm going to lose my job if I stay here much longer and before I can leave I need to make sure that somebody will take care of your kids." And there it was, the slight change in her eyes as they soften just a little. I knew throwing in my job would take care of it, she would feel incredibly guilty if she was the reason I lost my job. I hated having to play that card but if it would snap her out of this and get her back to semi-normal, I would do anything.

"I know it's going to be hard, especially with everything happening but you need to at least eat something." Her eyes move towards the soup and then back to my eyes, "Please," My voice got softer, "You need to eat and take a shower and go see your daughter." The slightest nod of her head had a big smile taking up my face.

Taking my aunt's arm, I helped sit her up and called for Trevor who filled the bathtub and fed his mother just a few spoonfuls of soup. When she was safely into the tub, Trevor and I sat outside the bathroom door, our backs on the wall and my head on Trevor's shoulder.