Chapter 10

Sophie walked into the decadent lounge room of Everglen. Her right hand was clasped in Keefe's and her left was reaching up to tug an itchy eyelash. It retracted halfway and dropped limply to her side.

Sophie took a deep breath and tugged Keefe over to sit on one of the decadent couches positioned around the room. Biana was the first to notice their intertwined grip and her eyes lit up but she didn't say anything. Linh came in a second later and sat down next to Fitz and Tam.

"Keefe and I are.........together" Sophie squeaked.

The whole room stopped. Everything went completely silent.

Fitz's expression was unreadable and Sophie unconsciously twisted the Cognate ring on her thumb.

"Keefe" he said in a terse voice. "Can I discuss something with you, outside, alone"

Keefe squeezed Sophie's hand and she resisted the urge to pull out an eyelash.

"So you finally want to know the secret to the Hair Fitz, come young one, learn" Keefe joked, but it lacked his usually goofiness.

Once they had both walked out into the hallway Keefe ran his hands through his hair. 

"I know that you guys used to be together, ages ago and broke up after everything that went down with Sophie being un-matchable, but I can tell you still....have feelings for her" 

Keefe braced for attack.

Fitz took a deep breath through his nose. He didn't speak for several seconds.

"I just don't know why I still like her so much, its so obvious.." he laughed sarcastically. "So obvious that she doesn't reciprocate it. I don't know, I guess I just thought that I could somehow encourage her to like me or something. But now your with her and I just.... I think I just need to let her go" 

Keefe was shocked. Out of all the words he had imagined coming out of his best-friends mouth he never expected such a calm response.

"I'm sorry" Keefe said finally." I knew that you liked her when I kissed her. I knew and I still did it"

There was a small moment of awkwardness before Keefe leant over and gave Fitz a hug. It was weird and a bit uncomfortable, they weren't exactly touchy-feely with eachother, but it was exactly what they both needed.

"Ready to go back in" Keefe asked.

Fitz nodded.

Back inside the opulent room Sophie was having a semi-panic attack. She really wanted to be with Keefe but she didn't want Fitz to stop being her friend or Cognates. Linh was trying, key-word trying, to soothe her. 

When Keefe and Fitz came back in arms slung over each others shoulders the blonde elf nearly collapsed from relief. Fitz didn't address Sophie but looked fairly okay as he sat down next to Tam and Dex. You could taste the uneasiness in the air.

Keefe came over to settle next to Sophie but Della appeared in the doorway.

"Sophie, your parents are here"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi guys, sorry I haven't updated in ages, I just had a bit of a mental block this week. This isn't my favourite chapter and it took a while to get Fitz's and Keefe's heart to heart right. I know some were expecting a huge blow-up but I thought that Fitz has started to mature and should be able to handle his emotions better. Especially as Sophie means a lot to him, as a girlfriend or friend. Do you agree? 

I will try to get another update in, in the next week sometime, there will probably only a be a few more chappies left. :D

xoxo Mollie